Did I bottle too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That, or you got an infection.

If it tastes fine then yeah, you probably bottled too soon.

I checked gravity twice, a week apart, remained the same. It was pretty high, 1.021. I thought that was just from the maltodextrine though. This was my second batch of Biermunchers Black Pearl Porter, the first was really good. I really just posted the video because sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. It sucked pouring it all down the drain, had one bottle explode in the box...

1.021 is pretty darn high, unless it was a pretty big beer to begin with.

I know its high, but with the MD it would read high, last batch finished at 1.018. This batch I bumped up the gravity. Just figured it finished a little higher. Made a nice big starter, and it spent a full month in my ferm chamber. 96 grams of corn sugar for priming a 4.75 gallon batch per NB's priming calculator for 2.2 vol co2. I guess next time I'll bump up the temp if I'm stuck around 1.020, or shake it, or pitch more yeast.

Pretty cool watching the upside down video on my PC. LOL

Last year I brewed a stout, sent two off to a contest and was told both were gushers. Up to that time NONE of the one's at home gushed. Wonder if the plane ride to another island and storage on the sided till a few days before contest could have done that.??????

Pretty cool watching the upside down video on my PC. LOL

Last year I brewed a stout, sent two off to a contest and was told both were gushers. Up to that time NONE of the one's at home gushed. Wonder if the plane ride to another island and storage on the sided till a few days before contest could have done that.??????

Gushers come from several sources. The most common is from using too much priming sugar. The second is bottling too soon so that more CO2 is still being produced. The third (my nemisis) is getting a wild yeast into the fermenter. Those little suckers won't quit producing CO2 for a long time. The one that you probably experienced is yeast or spices in suspension. Yep, stirring up the yeast provides lots of nucleation sites for the CO2 to come out of suspension on and that will make gushers. The same can happen when you open the bottles too soon and the yeast that made the bottles carbonate haven't had time to settle.

Gushers come from several sources. The most common is from using too much priming sugar. The second is bottling too soon so that more CO2 is still being produced. The third (my nemisis) is getting a wild yeast into the fermenter. Those little suckers won't quit producing CO2 for a long time. The one that you probably experienced is yeast or spices in suspension. Yep, stirring up the yeast provides lots of nucleation sites for the CO2 to come out of suspension on and that will make gushers. The same can happen when you open the bottles too soon and the yeast that made the bottles carbonate haven't had time to settle.

Sent 4 bottles this year. Found out out that they will be stored as shipped for almost a month and then unpacked just before the contest. Next year I'll stand them upright and mark "THIS SIDE UP". lol

Back