Did I add too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevens6464

Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch of home brew. It is a Kolsch dry hoped with 2oz of Sarachi Ace. Anyways to the point. When I siphoned my batch from the carboy to the bottling bucket I made a huge mess. I ended up spilling a gallon all over the floor.......that sucked. Not thinking about it, I added the priming sugar that came with the ingredient kit (Brewers Best ingredient kit) into only 4 gallons of brew. This recipe called for a 5 gallon batch. So whats going to happen to my now bottled beer? Will it over carbonate and create some beer bombs in the near future? Will it not carbonate at all? Will the alcohol content increase because of this? Thanks for any responses.

First off, no bottle bombs. The bottles *should* have no problem with the higher pressure. Leave them for two weeks as normal.

You did increase the alcohol a bit, but not to a noticeable degree. It is going to be over carbed, so be careful when opening. Make sure the bottles are as cold as you can get them. This will keep in check them foaming all over the place.

And always have a glass in one hand ready to pour!

Back