Did BYO Calculate IBU Wrong for Jamil's Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BandonBrewingCo

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got the recipe in BeerXml format if anyone wants to have a look.

The original recipe has:
  • OG 1.053
  • FG 1.014
  • 30g EK Goldings 5% AA

And they have this as an IBU of 25. All the software I've plugged the recipe into has me under 20 IBU. Do you think perhaps they meant 40g?

I get 21 IBU in beersmith. Things might vary according to boil size, etc. You'll likely need to adjust anyway depending on the exact AA of the hops you get, I always adjust the bittering addition to hit the recipe IBU.

I get 21 IBU in beersmith. Things might vary according to boil size, etc. You'll likely need to adjust anyway depending on the exact AA of the hops you get, I always adjust the bittering addition to hit the recipe IBU.

His AA% was 0.1% lower than mine. Anyways, I'll take your advice and adjust to hit the recipe IBUs.

You referenced boil time and I just noticed he has a 90 min boil. There's no pilsner malt of anything that would need the 90 mins in the recipe. Do you know of why he might have done this or was this the done thing back in the day?

You referenced boil time and I just noticed he has a 90 min boil. There's no pilsner malt of anything that would need the 90 mins in the recipe. Do you know of why he might have done this or was this the done thing back in the day?

No clue why, he has essentially the same recipe in BCS with a 60 min boil. I wouldn't boil that recipe 90 min.

Back