Dick neighbor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
In the words of Zul'jin, "Code Monkey" showed up at my house today.

My brother-in-law is visiting his wife's family in Hong Kong. They left about 3 weeks ago and will be gone until September. I've had his car parked in front of my house ever since.

It seems I have a dick neighbor who called code enforcement and complained. When I got home from work tonight, there was a warning ticket about it being illegal to park a car on the street without moving it for more than 24 hours.

The kicker is: I actually drove it yesterday. I started thinking, "If the car isn't driven for 4 months, the tires are going to be warped and the seals will deteriorate. I would have done it a week ago, but BIL parked with the tank empty and I was in a hurry and didn't have time to stop for gas.

It's an old Honda Passport and the thing has personality. Only 3 of the 4 doors open. It has a scratchy tape deck. The interior is covered in dust. It hates starting uphill. I thought I was going to drop the transmission out of it a couple times.

I enjoyed driving it. It's been a few years since I've had a car that gave me the thrill of "Will this thing break down and leave me stranded somewhere?" I kind of miss that.

Two things really irritate me about this: 1) I've lived in my house 11 years. Most of my neighbors have lived in their houses longer than me. You would think dick neighbor would have talked to me first. That's cowardly. 2) the warning ticket doesn't have a phone number for me to call and say, "Hey, I drove the f-ing car yesterday." That's really damn cowardly of code enforcement.

So, it looks like I'll be doing the NYC parking thing and moving my car from one side of the street to the other side every day so dick neighbor can see that "the car has moved today."

I've considered taking two weeks and parking the car in front of every single house on my block so everyone can get a taste of "the car has moved today."

Thankfully, I'm working from home tomorrow so that if Code Monkey comes back I can fling poo at him.

See, who even cares? Well, dick neighbor, but he's a dick. Or maybe she's a dick. Has a dick. Hasn't had a dick. Ah-ha! That might be the problem.

Call the city. I'm sure they have a city management dept or even a code monkey dept. Look em up. Call them ask them how they know and can prove the car has sat in one spot more than 24 hours. What constitutes "moving"? Mark from the sidewall of a tire to the street and move it a few inches so the marks don't match up. That's moved.

Do be sure to park with the flow of traffic. Yeah. The city has started ticketing people for that here. As if the street isn't wide enough for two cars and a motorcycle abreast. Hell, I bet you could go three cars.

And not speaking to someone face to face is passive aggressive bullcrap. We've a neighbor we call 'Bill's Used Cars'. He knows it. Dude has more cars than, I dunno, something with a lot of cars. He's got kids too, and they have cars. Pick-up trucks, mostly. And their friends too. He knows we don't like his cars parked all up and down the street. He knows if one is parked where we (we being the whole damn street) put out the garbage, that car gets to wince when the truck comes by.

Ya know what I say?

Last edited by a moderator:
Find the neighbor and seed his lawn with bird seed.

I've heard of people writing insults in an offenders lawn with copious amounts of fertilizer. After about a week, the "burned" lawn shows the insult quite well. After extensive watering, it blends back in, but now, that's the grass that grows fastest. Not sure how well you can make out said insult from taller grass but it still makes me giggle on the inside just knowing it would be there.

They usually put a chalk mark on the tire so they can see if the car moved. But sling'in poo in his face should keep him away for a few days.

Yup,that's what I say to neighbors around here like that. Mind your own business,& you won't have time for mine. They'd complain if I changed the oil in the driveway.

We had a dick neighbor who called the code monkeys on us 3 times and the cops once:
-didn't mow our yard while we were in europe for 3 weeks (I told him we'd be gone)
-left our trashcan at the street for longer than 3 days (guilty but WTF?)
-some sort of brush control ordinance....we let some wild raspberry bushes grow up behind our house...still don't quite understand that one.

-and then called the cops, saying I yelled a racial slur at his wife. Have no clue how he dreamed that one up.

luckily, he mismanaged his disability income from the government, and his house was foreclosed on a few years ago. We now have decent neighbors in their place.

I'd fertilize his yard for him with roundup extended control, applying it evenly in the shape of a wiener complete with balls attached.

Then I'd report him to code enforcement for having the likeness of a penis displayed on his lawn.

The good news is that I should outlive most of my neighbors. They are mostly retired.

I have to head to the hospital clinic in an hour to have some blood work done. I figure I'll take the car and blare the horn as I drive it down the street so everyone can see "the car has moved today."

just keep parking it in front of the dickhead neighbors house. Seriously, the best thing you can do (In my mind) is piss him off as badly as possible. That should do it!

Well, the horn is less than impressive. Sounds like the roadrunner, a hoarse roadrunner.

I've got my car parked in front of the house now. BIL's car is in my spot in the driveway.

There weren't any marks on the tire. I knew there wouldn't be. I live in unincorporated county, in a box canyon, about 5 miles beyond the outer edge of the suburbs. Code Monkey didn't just happen to drive down my street two days in a row. Somebody had to call to get him out here.

I've figured out what these people's problem is. They have problems. They don't know how to fix them, so they take our their frustration on other people. Since they feel a lack of control in their own lives, they try to exert some on someone else's. They're scared and angry.

I had a neighbor down the street that had the bad habit of parking for a week at a time on the street, in a bend where his car was downright in the way and unsafely parked (not illegally mind you), on a through-road. And he had out-of-state tags. And he had a ton of parking space in his driveway.

Guess where the car ended up? The abandoned car lot in town.

My advice: Just move it every day.

MC

Arn't there pretty good movies about these types of situations? Whoever was the caller,needs to brew some beer.Thats unjustly that you got a ticket if you drove it that day, I would fight that ticket.

If your local pd leaves 'printed' parking tickets rather than hand written ones, chances are the ticket machine can log what o'clock position the valve stem was in (assuming cop goes to the trouble to enter it)

Sorry to hear you've got a dbag neighbor

While I can't say if the neighbor has other problems, just want to point out if your inconvienced by following the rules, maybe it's you that is the dick? Having neighbors with 8 cars have to use the front of my yard cause they can't get rid of cars/trucks they haven't driven for a year or two, if I say something, am I really the dick? or the one who can park his car in front of his own house, but chooses mine?

Basically if you know you shouldn't do it, don't. If it means you move the car, move the car. People aren't necessarily bad guys because you have to do something. Yes, the neighbor may be a ******, but he may not be the only one.

I talked to my neighbors on both sides of me when the car arrived and let them know what was going on and that it was only until September. It doesn't impact anyone else. And if it does, is my daily driver being parked there any less of an impact?

I work for city government and occasionally have to deal with code issues. I can tell you that 99.9% of violations are reported by busybody neighbors. The few that are found by myself or by the actual code enforcement officers have to bad for us to take the time to deal with.

Since you live in a rural part of town there is no way someone from the city found it accidentally.

I went out today and trimmed up my juneberry tree so that it doesn't hang over part of my driveway parking area. Then with her mad ex-tow truck driver / Tetris skills, my wife fit my car & BIL's car where we normally just park mine.

I'll still have to park mine on the street when I tool around in his car.

lgilmore said:
While I can't say if the neighbor has other problems, just want to point out if your inconvienced by following the rules, maybe it's you that is the dick? Having neighbors with 8 cars have to use the front of my yard cause they can't get rid of cars/trucks they haven't driven for a year or two, if I say something, am I really the dick? or the one who can park his car in front of his own house, but chooses mine?

Basically if you know you shouldn't do it, don't. If it means you move the car, move the car. People aren't necessarily bad guys because you have to do something. Yes, the neighbor may be a ******, but he may not be the only one.

Yeah, but if you had an issue wouldn't you at least try and talk to the neighbors about it? I hate that passive aggressive bull sh*t. I would buy him a beginners home brew kit and a big bag of weed and leave a doctors note telling him to take as needed to chill the **** out. You did the right thing by informing him up front. And if he had an issue he should have came to you about it.

larrydcarter said:
Yeah, but if you had an issue wouldn't you at least try and talk to the neighbors about it? I hate that passive aggressive bull sh*t. I would buy him a beginners home brew kit and a big bag of weed and leave a doctors note telling him to take as needed to chill the **** out. You did the right thing by informing him up front. And if he had an issue he should have came to you about it.

That's all well and good but it's not the way most people work. The vast majority of people are scared ****less of conflict and will go to great lengths to avoid it.

forstmeister said:
That's all well and good but it's not the way most people work. The vast majority of people are scared ****less of conflict and will go to great lengths to avoid it.

I agree, but that fear of conflict will just cause even more conflict. If they would have spoken and resolved their differences it would be over with little stress. All they passive mess caused is pointless drama.

Well larrydcarter, in my case I try to think about other people first to avoid this kind of stuff. I will inconvience myself if needed. In the cases I cited with neighbors doing it to me, I did communicate when it reached a point where it was a hassle for me. Asking to leave the front of my house open so my kid can park and for another not blocking my boat or parking near trees I was falling.

So yes, I communicate first and you're correct it is better to do it that way.

The parking in front of your house isn't your property it's public property. I think it's funny when people like to think that they own the street parking in front of their property. Code enforcement is complete bs IMO along with HOA's.

A while back, one of my neighbors called code enforcement about another neighbor.

Around here, when CE comes out, they write up every infraction on the whole street. That way it isn't obvious who they were called about. By some bizarre coincidence my property was the only one that didn't get a violation. Even the cop next door got one.

Some of them still think I was the one who called.

Yeah, because everybody wants to live next door to Sanford and Son...

I just still believe in the idea that your property is just that, yours. Decent human beings want the things that they own and are proud of to be well taken care of and beautiful. I don't need Johnny law giving me a ticket for a RV being visible from the street behind a fence. If joe next door wants to have a car on cinder blocks and a washer machine on his lawn (while I don't agree that that is something I would want to do), more power to him it sure as hell doesn't make him a bad person. Ill bet everyone would get allong with their neighbors allot better if they just minded their own business. Property when it comes to humans is territorial its built into our nature.

Now if you are not the property owner (renter) then I believe it should be up to the owner to enforce how they feel the property should be maintained.

Just my crazy $0.02 fwiw

I just still believe in the idea that your property is just that, yours. Decent human beings want the things that they own and are proud of to be well taken care of and beautiful. I don't need Johnny law giving me a ticket for a RV being visible from the street behind a fence. If joe next door wants to have a car on cinder blocks and a washer machine on his lawn (while I don't agree that that is something I would want to do), more power to him it sure as hell doesn't make him a bad person. Ill bet everyone would get allong with their neighbors allot better if they just minded their own business. Property when it comes to humans is territorial its built into our nature.

Now if you are not the property owner (renter) then I believe it should be up to the owner to enforce how they feel the property should be maintained.

Just my crazy $0.02 fwiw

There's this thing called externalities.

Just my crazy $0.02 fwiw

If there are rules set up in your community regarding what is and what is not allowed they were most likely in place before you acquired your property. The price you pay for being a member of society is to follow those rules.

If I buy a home with rules that give me the expectation that you won't have cars on blocks and washing machines on your porch, I should be able to expect that you won't. If you break those rules, you are infringing on my rights.

Apparently there is a rule in the OP's community that says that he can't have a piece of **** clunker parked on the road for a certain period of time, then he shouldn't have said POS clunker parked on the road over that time.

If according to the rules in your area your RV can't be visible from the road, then it shouldn't be visible from the road.

In almost every one of these "code monkey/I hate my HOA" threads, the rules were in place when the aggrieved poster moved into the area. In most cases they signed an agreement.

If you don't want to abide by the rules that are in place, work to change them or move to Montana and become a dental floss tycoon

Just my crazy $0.02 fwiw

And property value. If your neighbors use their never mown front yard as a dumping ground that attracts rodents and viscious badgers, your property value drops. As a result when you sell your quarter million dollar house (round here? hah!) is listed for only $50K and prospective buyers take a quick look then peel rubber running away.

Umm... I hate HOAs but if you want to live in that type of community good on you.

But seriously, who cares if you can see an rv from the street behind a fence? That's pretty ridiculous. And don't you have a right to privacy witch covers anything behind 6 foot or taller fence (obviously you shouldn't be able to really see through 6" of it)? Kind of like having you're blinds closed, even though some one may still be able to peep in?

Latest posts

Back