diastatic power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fballplayer75

Reaction score
ok Ive been doing biab for a little over a year now I use beersmith to make my recipes and i have had some good beer but a few floppers also. So i have been doing research and found out most of my problems such as crystal malts and to much of them lol but my question is about diastatic power which i think was another problem. I have found this equation Σ(lintner_for_grain * weight_of_grain) / (total_batch_grain_weight) so I made a spreadsheet to "compute" my diastatic power and can someone just check to see if it looks ok/ numbers check out.
p.s. I can email the spread sheet to someone to see everything I did.

diastatic power.jpg

I'm not sure what your actual question is here. As far as the recipe it does have a large amount of adjuncts, about 38%. Even at that the base malt list should be able to handle the conversion although you may want to give the mash extra time to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure what your actual question is here. As far as the recipe it does have a large amount of adjuncts, about 38%. Even at that the base malt list should be able to handle the conversion although you may want to give the mash extra time to be on the safe side.

Ok i just noticed that. my question is Σ(littner_for_grain* weight_of_grain) / (total_batch_grain_weight) I am having a hard time understanding this equation to get a final answer. I was doing a lot of reading and I have been seeing you need to be above 35l??? I'm just getting confused where that number comes out of the equation. basically you have to use this equation for all ingredients and then add them together in the end. I know I'm over complicating things but its just how my brain works.

Back