Diastatic potential of Munich Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmm0f5

Reaction score
Hey all,

Brewing a partial mash of a milk stout. Is the diastatic enzyme in 12 oz of Munich malt enough to provide the diastatic enzymes for the rest of the grain bill?

1 lbs Roasted Barley
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt
12.0 oz Munich Malt
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked

If I needed to add some 2 row Pale Malt, would 1/2 a pound be sufficient for the enzyme conversion of the other grains? Or would a pound be better?

I already have around 4.5 lbs of grain and just want to make sure I can fit all of this in my 16 quart pot. At 1.5qt per gallon, I'm at a gallon and a half (then need to add sparge water) to get to my limit of 3 gallon boil.

Thanks in advance...

-Tim

I'm not sure about the diastatic enzyme thing, but if you are doing a partial mash I assume you'll be adding extract so you don't really need the sugar from the specialty grains, just the color and flavor.

Also, I'm slightly confused about your "limit of 3 gallon boil". You say you have a 16 gallon pot. You can easily do a 9-10-11 gallon boil without much concern of boiling over.

That bill will give you a batch Lintner of around 12, assuming you are using light Munich. I understand that you need at least 30 Lintner to be able to convert, so adding 1lb Pale to it will give you around 36L. That's on the low end, but it should work for you, if you can fit it. Using 6-row will let you use a little less.

I'm not sure about the diastatic enzyme thing, but if you are doing a partial mash I assume you'll be adding extract so you don't really need the sugar from the specialty grains, just the color and flavor.

Something has to convert the adjuncts. IIRC the general rule is 1 lb of base malt per 1 lb of adjunct.

That bill will give you a batch Lintner of around 12, assuming you are using light Munich. I understand that you need at least 30 Lintner to be able to convert, so adding 1lb Pale to it will give you around 36L. That's on the low end, but it should work for you, if you can fit it. Using 6-row will let you use a little less.

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Back