diameter for blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmat

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post for me here. I'll be doing an extract hefeweizen soon and I'll be fermenting it in a glass carboy. I plan to use a blowoff tube with the carboy. I was hoping somebody knew the proper diameter for a blowoff tube coming out of a glass 5 gallon carboy? how about a better bottle?

I know the big blowoff tube is kind of out of style, but this is a hefe and given the weather here, I'll be necesarily running on the hotside of the ferm temp so I expect a pretty violent fermentation.

Gentlemen,

I brewed for years using a reracking hose for a blow off hose.
Till one day 'Kelly' , the owner at:
'Homebrew Headquarters' on Coit- Dallas,
told me Knife, THIS! is a blow off hose,
showing me the hose with the diameter of the carbouy neck.

Now I use a correct size blow off hose but the first thing I noticed was that it was not a perfect fit. As long as the wort was exuding carbon dioxide the poor fit was not a problem, but when the karousen fell there is a potiential for getting air bourne spoilage micro organisms in the wort.
So as soon as the karousen is not rising any more,
I pull the hose and replace it with an air lock, fast.

Thanks you

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com

FlyGuy said:
I use 1.25" ID x 1" OD tubing for mine. Fits perfectly in the neck of my glass carboys.

1.25" ID x 1" OD? Wow, its a Klein blow-off hose! That's quite a trick. =)

-D

My tube is 1.25 OD as well. You can most likely get it at the hardware store. I use a blowoff tube on every batch.

Back