Dialing in a house pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
So I'm getting pretty close to what I really want as my "house" pale ale, which started with Edwort's recipe of course! I started with his recipe, tweaked slightly the second time, then tweaked a little more. I really like where it's getting, but ideally I would like a bit more of a "bready" or "toasted" character. Not over the top by any means, but a bit more. Here is my current recipe:

7.5 lbs. Pilsener
2 lbs. Vienna
8 oz. Crystal 10L
8 oz. Flaked Barley
3.25 oz. acidulated malt (pH reasons)
3 oz. turbinado sugar @60 min., 3 oz. turbinado sugar @15 min.
Mash @ 152 for 60 min. (strike water 168F)(3.25 gallons)
IBU: 39 (target)
OG: 1.052 (@68F)

Hops: -Centennial Pellets (8.7% AA), Mt. Hood Leaf (4.8 % AA)-
.5 oz. Centennial, .5 oz. Mt. Hood @ 60 min.
.25 oz. Centennial, .25 oz. Mt. Hood @ 30 min.
.25 oz. Mt Hood, .05 oz. Centennial @ 15 min.
.25 oz. Mt. Hood, .2 oz Centennial @ FO

S-05 at around 60F ambient for the first few days, then slow rise.

So, my thoughts to get a touch of bready character would be 4-8 oz. Biscuit malt, or a couple of lbs. of Munich. Any thoughts?

Thanks to everyone in advance! :mug:

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I considered victory as another option, but I've never used it. Is 2-3 oz. really enough to make a difference? I've heard that it's a little stronger.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I considered victory as another option, but I've never used it. Is 2-3 oz. really enough to make a difference? I've heard that it's a little stronger.

victory is a little stronger, but it's really just briess's trade name for biscuit malt

Unless you're really married to the Pilsner malt flavor (or it's color), you could swap for a domestic "pale ale" malt (ie the US malts that are kilned more like UK malts and a little darker than regular 2-row, I know at least Briess, Rahr, and Great Western produce it). I think they add a nice background toasty character, without being as strong as something like Maris Otter. I use the stuff in my American styles.

Well, I'm using pilsener because I have it in bulk. Thanks for the suggestion though!

The turbinado is interesting. Is that there to dry things out or does it add some flavor? Does the 60 min caramelize?

There is a difference between Victory malt (Briess) and biscuit malt. It's toastier/bready while biscuit malt is drier tasting and bready. I love the toasty warm flavor of victory malt in many IPAs and APAs. I'd use 6-8 ounces in the above recipe and leave out the simple sugar.

As for the turbinado, it's something I use in a lot of my beers. Yeah, it's there to help make it a bit a drier but in this case might be holding back a little of the malt, which I'm guessing is why Yooper is suggesting leaving it out. It does add a little flavor in my opinion, though in this small of an amount not particularly. The 60 min. addition does caramelize.

Thanks again folks! :mug:

I put 4 oz of Special Roast in my last 10g batch of IPA, along with 4lbs Munich. Very bready/toasty notes without too much sweetness.

Alright, I also decided on a full lb. of flaked barley instead of half of a pound. Nothing is set in stone yet but I'd like to try it. Should I do a protein rest with that much flaked barley?

Latest posts

Back