Dial Thermometer VS Digital Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
My last batch I did I decided to use the 2 just to compare. I was aiming 150F for my mash and my Digital was like over 10-12degrees over my Dial. Which one should I use next time. This can make big diff. in my beer end result.

Test both in a ice water bath (32F) and boiling water (212F at sea level) and see which is out of calibration. Both may be off.

Last edited:
Definitely Calibrate. I think jddevin meant to say 212f at sea level. I know people calibrate at cold and hot, if there is a difference I would go with the more accurate one at boil. I have had thermometers calibrate at 32 and read diff temps at boil. Since we tend to work on the hot side that is what I focus on. Definitely know what temp you h2o boils at you elevation 204f in Denver. I like my dial thermometer because it does not change as quickly giving a more average temp of the mash. My super-acurate digital reads different #'s in different parts of the mash.

Latest posts

Back