Diacytel Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
I've got an IPA fermenting with Ringwood Ale yeast that requires a full diacytel rest and its been in the primary for 6 days @ 68F and now that primary has slowed significantly I'm trying to raise the temps to +70F but using thermo underwear, a towel and a lined hoodie i'm able to only raise it to 69F maybe 70F. How long should I keep it like this? I'm thinking instead of 3-4 days maybe a full week? (I'm keeping it in the primary at least 2 weeks)Here's a pic of my 'system' lol...The secondary on the left is @ 68F. I don't mind a little diacytel but if I enter this beer into a comp as an American IPA i'm thinking i'll get hit for it being out of style, it's already border-line English IPA but it's a Dogfish Head 60 clone so I guess it's an American? The flavor hops, simcoe and amarillo are the only thing keeping it American as far as I can tell otherwise I say it's an English IPA.
primarysecondary.jpg

Well, even at 69 degrees (I wouldn't go much warmer), the diacetyl will clean up with enough time. I'd plan on leaving it in the primary until there is no taste of diacetyl, or any "slickness" on your tongue when you taste it. Diacetyl in large amounts tastes buttery or like butterscotch. In small amounts, it'll be slighly oily or mouth coating, or "slick" feeling.

It may take a week or two to fully remove all the diacetyl. No harm will come to leave it a total of three weeks in primary before tasting to see if it's gone.

As far as style guidelines, DFH is considered an American IPA. Did you use English malts, though, to give it an English twist?

As far as style guidelines, DFH is considered an American IPA. Did you use English malts, though, to give it an English twist?

Yeah I used Munton's Pale malt and Crisp amber. So the malt and yeast are British but the finishing/aroma hops are mostly American with Palisade,Simcoe,Amarillo, and Glacier with Glacier being the only British-type hop.

The recipe based on Caglione's calls for primary @ 71 and raise to 74F for a few days.

Back