Diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccarter

Reaction score
Well... It finally happened. I brewed a German Alt several months ago and man am I getting a strong butterscotch taste from this beer.

The yeast that I bought with the kit was a wyeast smack pack. When it got to the house, it was swollen and I thought it was dead on arrival so I threw it out and used Safeale 05. This was the first time I re-hydrated a dry yeast, so I'm sure there was a problem with the yeast. Live and learn. I've been brewing for 10 years or so... guess I had it coming to me. Call me lucky, but I've really always had good luck.

Having said all of that. I'm not sure I hate the beer. I've got the butterscotch, but I also have a great malty flavor on the back end as well. I've had several of these and have noticed a bit of the flavor. This evening though, the one I opened was VERY strong with the butterscotch flavor. Interesting for sure. Call me demented, but I might have to drink the rest of them.

Back