Diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
I am brewing a pilsner this weekend. I am going to ferment at 50f. What temp should the diacetyl rest be? Do I bring it up gradually, or just reset to the new temp? Generally how long should the diacetyl rest last? From there I assume the next step is to move to a long (30-45) lager period at about 33 degrees. Thanks!

I am brewing a pilsner this weekend. I am going to ferment at 50f. What temp should the diacetyl rest be? Do I bring it up gradually, or just reset to the new temp? Generally how long should the diacetyl rest last? From there I assume the next step is to move to a long (30-45) lager period at about 33 degrees. Thanks!

For a diacetyl rest, a temperature increase of at least 10 degrees would be best to ensure that the yeast keep working and clean up any diacetyl. You can just go up to the next temperature, as it takes a long time for 5 gallons of liquid to come up to the temperature anyway.

The diacetyl rest should last until the beer is finished, and at FG. A good rule of thumb is to keep it at 50 degrees until it's 75% of the way to FG, or somewhere around 1.020 depending on the OG, and then hold it at the diacetyl temperature rest until the beer is finished. Then it can be racked and lagered.

When you're 80% through fermentation (usually around 1.020) bring it up to room temp (65F) for a couple of days and then drop to 37F for a month or two.

Latest posts

Back