Diacetyl rest screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing my first lager (Brewer's Best German Oktoberfest). I've been fermenting it until it's about 75% complete then started the diacetyl rest today. Here's my issue:

It's been fermenting at a steady 55 degrees F so I want to raise it up to 65 degrees for 2 days and then drop the temp to lagering temps over a few days. I wanted to transfer to a secondary after the diacetyl rest but my little brain wasn't working and I transfered to the secondary before starting the rest. So now the lager is warming up to 65 degrees in the secondary.....Did I screw it up by transfering out of the primary before fermentation was complete, or will there be enough yeast within the beer to continue the fermentation to completion?? Can't believe I did this!!!!

Thanks for all the advice and help!

Tim

BTW, I just checked my airlock and bubbles are still forming, slowly, but their still there. Hopefully that's a good sign I didn't screw it up! Fingers crossed.....

You'll be alright, don't worry. btw that kit is awesome! so much caramel deliciousness

There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to do your d-rest. My concern would be with starting your d-rest at 75% of anticipated attenuation--seems a bit early unless you're doing the Narsis (sp?) fermentation regimen. But it's not a huge deal, and I'm no lager master!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It wouldn't hurt anything to let your D rest go for a couple more days either

I went with the 75% number based on the many posts I read from fellow brewers. Since this is my first lager, I'm trying to follow the masses!

Jman 01, how many days do you do a D rest for?? I was planning on letting it go for 3 full days then start the gradual (5 degrees per day) cooling process until it gets down to my lagering temp of 34 degrees F.

Tim

I went with the 75% number based on the many posts I read from fellow brewers. Since this is my first lager, I'm trying to follow the masses!

Jman 01, how many days do you do a D rest for?? I was planning on letting it go for 3 full days then start the gradual (5 degrees per day) cooling process until it gets down to my lagering temp of 34 degrees F.

Tim

I did 4 days on my last one, then did the same with 5 degrees per day

diacetyl will be reduced in the presence of almost any amount of yeast. certainly there will be plenty in the secondary.

if you are bottle conditioning, a d-rest really isn't even necessary.

Wait....So I did this for nothing, since I will bottle condition?? Oh well, at least it makes me feel like I'm doing something important :)

Tim
plenty of people who bottle do d-rests, but my repeated experience has been that diacetyl reduction easily and relatively quickly occurs in the bottle if kept at room temperature.

Yep a d-rest is really for when you detect traces of diacetyl, an oily mouthfeel, butter or butterscotch flavors depending on the levels of it. Some people do a d-rest every time, others only when needed.

A d-rest is really only needed when you detect diacetyl, its a oily mouthfeel, butter or a butterscotch flavor depending on levels. Some people do it every lager fermentation, others only when needed.

For most lagers, I do a three day d-rest after fermentation day 12. Even if you don't detect any buttery smell, it's good to wake the yeast up for a final clean up. There is more than Diacetyl they need to eat.

I just assume do the D Rest and then not even have the risk.. Why take a chance

Back