Diacetyl in Pils....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derst27

Reaction score
I've got 10 gals of pilsner that I'm trying to save. Out of the secondary I didn't notice any diacetyl smell or taste but do now that its kegged. I'm planning on putting the kegs at room temp and eventually racking them into a tertiary with a starter to see if it'll gobble up the diacetyl.

I was just going to buy some dry yeast, maybe champagne yeast? Any thoughts?? I had a similar problem with the pils that I brewed prior and the bottles turned out great (I think the addition of priming sugar reinvigorated the yeast and ate up the diacetyl) and the keg had issues.

Started at room temp for a few hours then primary in the low 50's for 8 days, and gave it a week at around 60 for a rest then racked to secondary at 50 and on down to the low 40's over 10 days

That would work but I'm jonesing to break in the beer gun i just got. I was thinking the champagne yeast would work quick and not add too much to the final product.

Well, there is the jonesing effect, not sure if anything will "work quick" at this point, also typically when I try to "work quick" I end up with an inferior product. Patience is the single most effective tool when it comes to fermenting, IMHO.

Ouch, let me clarify- the pils has had a longer secondary than most beers I've brewed and I'm postulating that the champagne yeast will be best equipped to work on the diacetyl whilst retaining the crispness of the pils. I still have to rerack to a tertiary, pitch, then give another diacetyl rest, then I'm going to keg (after a more vigorous test for diacetyl). So its in no way a quick process. I'm just trying to avoid the downside of bottle conditioning by force carbonating because in the past bottle conditioning has given me mixed results.

I have exactly the same issue with 10 gallons of pilsner I made, how did the champagne yeast work out?

Back