Diacetyl Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasherb

Reaction score
I finished my diacetyl rest (24hrs) on a lager and started ramping the temp down to 2C. I tasted it today and there was still a lot of diacetyl character. Should I raise the temperature back up for more resting time? Yeast is WLP 830.

I finished my diacetyl rest (24hrs) on a lager and started ramping the temp down to 2C. I tasted it today and there was still a lot of diacetyl character. Should I raise the temperature back up for more resting time? Yeast is WLP 830.

Yes, if you haven't racked it yet bring it back up to diacetyl rest temperatures. If you've already racked, you may need to make a yeast starter.

Attenuation is a lot lower than I expected too. It started at 1.042 and is now at 1.012 after three weeks.

Have not racked it yet, fortunately. I'll bring it back up to d-rest temps (64 sound good?) for a while. Maybe a week?

I don't have an extensive lager history, but the best practice here is to increase up to the d-rest temp before fermentation is finished, so that the yeast are active when they go into this phase.

It was about 2-weeks in primary when I started the rise to d-rest. 24hrs D-rest. Then I take it down from there 2 degrees C per day. It's at 2C right now, but I just shut off the temp control so it should free rise back up to room temp (68-64 F).

I checked yesterday and the Diacetyl was gone. So that's about 5 days at 64-66 degrees F. Maybe if I checked earlier the Diacety would have been gone on day 3 or 4..

Time to descend to lagering again...

Thanks for the help everyone!

I always do a 3 to 4 day d-rest after 10-12 days of primary before doing the transfer to secondary. Of course taking readings is a sure fire way but I'm lazy I guess and never had a problem so far, knock on wood.

Back