Witbier Diable Blanche Wit Bier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3944
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Spicy coriander blending with sweet orange peel but more complicated than other wits
ABV: 5.47%

Malts:
6 lbs Belgian 2 Row
4 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.5 lb Flaked Oats

Hops:
1 oz Hallertauer 60 min
1 oz Tettnang 20 min
1 oz Hallertauer 10 min
1 oz Saaz 1 min

Other:
0.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel 10 min
1 oz Coriander, Crushed/Chopped 60 min
0.7 oz Chamomile 30 min

0.5 oz Sweet Orange Peel Secondary for 1 week
0.75 oz Coriander, Crushed Secondary for 1 week
1 Chamomile tea bag Secondary for 1 week

68% mash efficiency due to a new setup and lots of wheat in the mash. Used a couple handfuls of rice hulls in the mash.

Single Temperature Infusion. Mashed at 153 degrees F for one hour. No mash out.
Sparged out with 170 degree F hot liquor (water) until collected just over 6 gallons.

60 min boil after hot break.

Used a box of chamomile tea bags in the boil and 1 bag in the secondary. I would suggest using two boxes since it's almost impossible to overdue chamomile. Just rip off the strings without breaking apart the actual tea bags.

I used Clementine peels for the sweet orange peel. It's sweeter than traditional orange peels and you don't have to remove any white rind since clementines don't have any.

The orange and chamomile is very strong at first but will fade over time. The coriander fades as well but not as quickly. Extremely aromatic at first but that will fade out after a week or two. Great lacing and "drinkability". This one will go fast, especially in the summer.

2010-11-03_19-47-00_753.jpg

I brewed a Wit loosely based on this recipe on the 4th. Just pulled my first glass and I'm very happy with the results. I added half a box of chamomile bags, peel from 5 clementines and just over .5oz coriander at 15 minutes. Hopped with .5oz Cascade FWH, .5oz Cascade 15 minutes. Same ratio of Belgian Pilsen, flaked wheat and flaked oats. 10 days in primary then kegged and carbed for 2 days with shaking.

I definitely plan on brewing it again but will up the coriander to a full oz. Everything is perfectly balanced, but needs to be a tad spicier.

chewyt.jpg

Latest posts

Back