DFH Bitches Brew recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
So I tried a DFH bithces brew last night..great beer...has anybody given this recipe a shot?

I kinda picked up a hint of grapes in the end...maybe from the Gesho Root? Anyways, heres a bit of blurb fromt he DFH site..what exactly does the 3 thread vs 1 thread refer too?

a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads imperial stout and one thread honey beer with gesho root

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/bitches-brew.htm

That is three batches of imperial stout to one batch of Tej. Combined before bottling. Looks like you missed Sam on discovery last night. The first episode was all about brewing the *****. I'm also interested in brewing this.

Per the show, they also used gesho leaves. Wonder if the unfiltered honey contributed to the 'grape' note you got?

EDIT: the actual beer got some unfiltered honey but also some orange blossom honey, because the unfiltered stuff is so hard to work with (it's so thick it doesn't pour, almost as thick as peanut butter).

It looked like they used a really nominal amount of that unfiltered honey (how much could that shop had?) and almost entirely orange blossom. So I would just use all orange blossom.

Also the tej wasn't really a tej. He kept calling tej honey beer and when they brewed it they added grains.

I realize this is a total zombie re-birth on my part but I just caught the re-run of the Bitches Brew episode last night and was wondering if anyone actually attempted a clone. I searched for Bitches Brew recipe but only found discussions about the actual beer.
I'm curious about an actual clone, I think Sam mentioned to OG of both the Tej and the (Imperial I think) Stout and that the final product came out to be 9% ABV. So I'm thinking an Imperial Stout mixed 3:1 with the Tej. Anyone done a clone or any type of similar mixture with a dark beer and Tej for that matter?

Does anyone else detect a sweet tobacco-ish end note w/ the Bitches Brew? Is that the honey?

Bump.

They just released Bitches Brew again. Picked up four bottles yesterday. This is one of my all time favs, from DFH or anyone else.

One of the best reasons to homebrew is to brew things that are really hard to get (like the Pliny clone now fermenting downstairs, heh, heh). I don't have the experience or talent yet to take a stab at developing a recipe, but I'd take a stab at brewing it if I had one!

Anyone ever take a run at this?

Back