DFH 90 min and amber malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jammer

Reaction score
I want to make a clone of DFH 90 min this week and the recipes call for 1.6 or so lbs of amber malt. what does everyone use when a recipe calls for amber malt? munich? MO? something else? Is there actually amber malt that i just havent see before?

thanks

OP
J

jammer

Reaction score
nope, all grain. if there is actually amber malt, anyone have a replacement?

OP
J

jammer

Reaction score
well thanks for finding that Yuri.

what do you think i could substitute for it? caramunich I? biscuit?

OP
J

jammer

Reaction score
ive heard of roasting grain personally for amber malt. any ideas if this would work? or any other subs besides victory?

Reaction score
Roast in a thin layer at 350 for 15-30 mins, maybe?

All of these malts we're talking about are pretty readily available...why are you so keen on finding a substitute?

Steve973

Reaction score
Amber has a much stronger flavor than biscuit. Biscuit really won't impart the flavor that amber malt provides. In my experience, amber malt produces a roasty flavor. Ounce for ounce or pound for pound, it's not going to be quite as intense as black patent, but a little goes a long way. Order some Thomas Fawcett amber malt (instead of crisp!!!) and you'll be ok.

OP
J

jammer

Reaction score
I am looking for a replacement because i cant find it locally. My LHBS said that amber is just a generic term and doesnt denote a certain malt.

I went (in person) to beer-wine.com and they had no amber malt. They were also sold out of many things.

I am in the southern RI area, anyone know somewhere near by that might have it?

trev

Reaction score
jammer said:
I want to make a clone of DFH 90 min this week and the recipes call for 1.6 or so lbs of amber malt. what does everyone use when a recipe calls for amber malt? munich? MO? something else? Is there actually amber malt that i just havent see before?

thanks
You want a victory malt from Briess in this case I think.

http://www.briess.com/pdf/Malthouse.../Victory Malt WK/PIS BREW Victory Malt WK.pdf

You should be able to find a 6-row malted barley such as this from your LHBS.

-- Trev

OP
J

jammer

Reaction score
ok, thanks everyone, i will go with victory. its much easier to get. thanks again!!

CBBaron

Reaction score
Here's where I got mine.
http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,8787.htm
I'm making a porter on Friday using loads of Amber and Brown Malts.

According to the information on the site where I buy my grains amber malt is 46 lovibond and victory is 25.
Not sure if it means anything but Amber is categorized by the Grape and Granary as a crystal or a roasted (dark) malt, while victory and biscuit is categorized as a high kiln (toasted) malt.

Craig

Steve973

Reaction score
I don't think you'll get the correct character with victory malt. It's quite different than amber malt. And, amber malt is definitely a specific kind of malt. Whoever recommended Thomas Fawcett amber malt was definitely on the right track!