DFH 90 IPA Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnome

Reaction score
After 11 days in secondary The Wort seems to have developed a haze, I'm concerned about infection. I have placed it in the Refrigerator to Crash Cool, hope this clears it up. Plan to Prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar, but the LHBS guy suggested that I use Yeast in addition to priming sugar. Is this necessary? 1.071 OG- 1.017 SG at racking to secondary.

Cold Crash.jpg

I can't really see a haze in this picture. It looks good!

You've got about 75% attenuation with the yeast, so I would guess that they might be a little tired. What kind of yeast did you use?

I second yooperbrew's question: what yeast? I just started my 90-min IPA 5 days ago, so I'm not where you are. I used WLP005 (British Ale Yeast). My OG was 1.088.

What recipe did you use? I went 1.75 lbs german pils/1.75 lbs crystal 40 into a partial mash at ~155-160°F for 45-minutes, 9.9 lbs light malt extract with a ****-ton of hops...I don't remember the amounts off-hand, but I wanted to try amarillo/cascade/magnum instead of the prescribed hops.

All my LHBS had was Wyeast 1098 Brit Ale, I wanted 1099 Whitebread. I did a PM with 8lbs. Muntons Extra Light DME,1.75lbs. German 2 row Pilsner Malt and 1.66 lbs. Amber Malt. Steeped grains in bag @ 155f +-, for 50 min.4.5 qts water, sparged(dumped 4.5 qts,168f water over grains in strainer), added DME, dissolved. Moved to Keggle and topped up with 4.5 gal water, then boiled for 70 min.( down to5.5- 6 gal). I have some s.04and some Yeast nutrient. Tonight the Hop bag has dropped to the bottom, Refrigerator is about 36f.

This is what it looked like two weeks ago. Clear enough to see Hop Bag. Brewed 12/23, Racked to 2nd and Dry Hoped 1/1.Plan to Bottle tomorrow. Will .75 cups Priming Sugar be sufficient for Bottle carbonation?

Dry Hop.jpg

Well I bottled tonight, went with 3/4 cup Corn Sugar. Boiled 1 1/2 cups water then added Dextrose for a five minute boil. 1.016 FG, 1.071 OG. It has a grapefruit like taste to it at this point, still had a haze to it. I hope it comes around. The yeast was a substitution( 1098 instead of 1099). Bottleing took 1hr with 1/2 hr cleanup,44 12oz and 2 Pints. Next batch will be AG.

Back