- Dec 10, 2012
- Reaction score
I want to do a DFH 90 min clone and I have a few questions before I start. My current setup is two 7gal (28 qt) coolers with a SS braid and a 7.5 gal pot.
- 1. I want to try batch sparging so my plan is to heat 5.74 gal [found a calc here] and add the water to the mash tun add half the water then the grains then the rest of the water.
- 2. After the water is added check the temp to make sure Im on target and let it sit for 60 minutes. If the temperature is off Ill drain some of the water and heating it up in a pot.
- 3. When the 60 minutes are up Im going to drain about 1/3 of wart and heat it up till steam rises and add it back to the wort till its at 175 F and letting it sit for 10 minutes.
- 4. Once the 10 minutes is up Ill remove 1-2 qt of wort till its clear.
- 5. When the wort is clear Ill add 6.07 gal to my other cooler and have it drain in at the same speed as the wort drains out leaving the water at ~1/3 in above the grain bed.
- 6. After all the wort is gone from the mash tun I'll boil the wort for 90 min and add the hops every 10 minutes.
- 1. Will I have enough room in my cooler for the grain and water?
- 2. Can I divide everything by 5 to make a 1gal sample batch? I want to try adding the hops every 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 10 minutes to see if there is a difference.
- 3. When do I take my SG? Right before the boil or after? If its after the boil and if I didnt hit my target can I add some DME?
- 4. Will 300 billion cells fit in 2 one pint mason jars?
- 5. If I calculated correctly I think Ill end up with 9.18 gal of water and my pot is 7.35 gal. Can I boil the overflow wort in a different pot till the main pot has enough room?
- 6. The directions say to Mash at 149-150 so does that mean I dont do step 3 (heat the wort to 168F)?