DFH 120 clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
Brewed a partial last month and tasted this evening. OG around 1.15 and FG around 1.043. Low on OG and slightly high on FG. It tasted really sweet...will this mellow with age or FG to high and will never mellow. Im afraid that with too much age it will lose holiness and remain sweet. Any thoughts or past experience?
 

cheesecake

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Messages
1,061
Reaction score
52
Location
Palatine il
I think your fg is to high. What did you use for yeast and how did you do your sugar additions?
 

kylevester

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
254
Reaction score
22
Location
Tinley Park
Brewed a partial last month and tasted this evening. OG around 1.15 and FG around 1.043. Low on OG and slightly high on FG. It tasted really sweet...will this mellow with age or FG to high and will never mellow. Im afraid that with too much age it will lose holiness and remain sweet. Any thoughts or past experience?
1.150? Or 1.105?

1.150 down to 1.043 means about 14% ABV. Which is very high for beers. 1.105 to 1.043 is 8% ABV.

The yeast you used and the mash temp are key to how much attenuation you'll get.

What yeast and what mash temp/how much DME or LME?

A yeast that conks out around 8% will necessitate the addition of a more robust yeast, like champagne yeast. Sprinkle a packet of that in there and it'll take it down a bit.

If your mash temp was in the mid to high 150s, then you'll have more non-fermentables and will finish at a higher FG or if you added lots of DME/LME. The extract itself could be higher in non-fermentables too.
 

FATC1TY

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2012
Messages
1,605
Reaction score
141
Location
Atlanta Area
You need to look into wild additions of perhaps more yeast, or a more robust yeast, or some beano I've read...

Making those big 16%+ ABV beers takes a TON of time and work.. At 43 points you beer is way, way, way too sweet. Undrinkable.
 

bottlebomber

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2011
Messages
14,296
Reaction score
2,748
Location
Ukiah
FATC1TY said:
Making those big 16%+ ABV beers takes a TON of time and work.. At 43 points you beer is way, way, way too sweet. Undrinkable.
It's actually not that bad in my experience. I made a 16% IPA recently that I overnight mashed at 147 in a cooler. OG 1.105, fermented with wlp001. After a few days I pitched wlp099 and added 2 lbs of dextrose. 6 weeks later the gravity was at 1.000. Very little alcohol character and ready to drink in 2 months and that's with bottle conditioning.
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
bottlebomber said:
It's actually not that bad in my experience. I made a 16% IPA recently that I overnight mashed at 147 in a cooler. OG 1.105, fermented with wlp001. After a few days I pitched wlp099 and added 2 lbs of dextrose. 6 weeks later the gravity was at 1.000. Very little alcohol character and ready to drink in 2 months and that's with bottle conditioning.
I used super high gravity with a big starter. The clone recipe FG was1.04
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
kylevester said:
1.150? Or 1.105?

1.150 down to 1.043 means about 14% ABV. Which is very high for beers. 1.105 to 1.043 is 8% ABV.

The yeast you used and the mash temp are key to how much attenuation you'll get.

What yeast and what mash temp/how much DME or LME?

A yeast that conks out around 8% will necessitate the addition of a more robust yeast, like champagne yeast. Sprinkle a packet of that in there and it'll take it down a bit.

If your mash temp was in the mid to high 150s, then you'll have more non-fermentables and will finish at a higher FG or if you added lots of DME/LME. The extract itself could be higher in non-fermentables too.
It was 1.15 - supposed to hit 1.174 but missed
 

bottlebomber

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2011
Messages
14,296
Reaction score
2,748
Location
Ukiah
hbr2547 said:
I used super high gravity with a big starter. The clone recipe FG was1.04
How long has it been suiting? 099 can be super slow, but it will finish dry.
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
bottlebomber said:
How long has it been suiting? 099 can be super slow, but it will finish dry.
It sat for about three to four weeks. I guess I'm SOL though as I have bottled.
 
OP
H

hbr2547

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
183
Reaction score
17
ChessRockwell said:
As long as you used 100% holy water in the mash, it shouldn't lose holiness over time.
Ha - that's too funny. Yes, would be good. It's the iPad correcting. Hop I meant
 

Latest posts

Top