DFH 120 clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbr2547

Reaction score
Brewed a partial last month and tasted this evening. OG around 1.15 and FG around 1.043. Low on OG and slightly high on FG. It tasted really sweet...will this mellow with age or FG to high and will never mellow. Im afraid that with too much age it will lose holiness and remain sweet. Any thoughts or past experience?

Brewed a partial last month and tasted this evening. OG around 1.15 and FG around 1.043. Low on OG and slightly high on FG. It tasted really sweet...will this mellow with age or FG to high and will never mellow. Im afraid that with too much age it will lose holiness and remain sweet. Any thoughts or past experience?

1.150? Or 1.105?

1.150 down to 1.043 means about 14% ABV. Which is very high for beers. 1.105 to 1.043 is 8% ABV.

The yeast you used and the mash temp are key to how much attenuation you'll get.

What yeast and what mash temp/how much DME or LME?

A yeast that conks out around 8% will necessitate the addition of a more robust yeast, like champagne yeast. Sprinkle a packet of that in there and it'll take it down a bit.

If your mash temp was in the mid to high 150s, then you'll have more non-fermentables and will finish at a higher FG or if you added lots of DME/LME. The extract itself could be higher in non-fermentables too.

You need to look into wild additions of perhaps more yeast, or a more robust yeast, or some beano I've read...

Making those big 16%+ ABV beers takes a TON of time and work.. At 43 points you beer is way, way, way too sweet. Undrinkable.

FATC1TY said:
Making those big 16%+ ABV beers takes a TON of time and work.. At 43 points you beer is way, way, way too sweet. Undrinkable.
It's actually not that bad in my experience. I made a 16% IPA recently that I overnight mashed at 147 in a cooler. OG 1.105, fermented with wlp001. After a few days I pitched wlp099 and added 2 lbs of dextrose. 6 weeks later the gravity was at 1.000. Very little alcohol character and ready to drink in 2 months and that's with bottle conditioning.

bottlebomber said:
It's actually not that bad in my experience. I made a 16% IPA recently that I overnight mashed at 147 in a cooler. OG 1.105, fermented with wlp001. After a few days I pitched wlp099 and added 2 lbs of dextrose. 6 weeks later the gravity was at 1.000. Very little alcohol character and ready to drink in 2 months and that's with bottle conditioning.

I used super high gravity with a big starter. The clone recipe FG was1.04

kylevester said:
1.150? Or 1.105?

1.150 down to 1.043 means about 14% ABV. Which is very high for beers. 1.105 to 1.043 is 8% ABV.

The yeast you used and the mash temp are key to how much attenuation you'll get.

What yeast and what mash temp/how much DME or LME?

A yeast that conks out around 8% will necessitate the addition of a more robust yeast, like champagne yeast. Sprinkle a packet of that in there and it'll take it down a bit.

If your mash temp was in the mid to high 150s, then you'll have more non-fermentables and will finish at a higher FG or if you added lots of DME/LME. The extract itself could be higher in non-fermentables too.

It was 1.15 - supposed to hit 1.174 but missed

hbr2547 said:
I used super high gravity with a big starter. The clone recipe FG was1.04

How long has it been suiting? 099 can be super slow, but it will finish dry.

bottlebomber said:
How long has it been suiting? 099 can be super slow, but it will finish dry.

It sat for about three to four weeks. I guess I'm SOL though as I have bottled.

ChessRockwell said:
As long as you used 100% holy water in the mash, it shouldn't lose holiness over time.

Ha - that's too funny. Yes, would be good. It's the iPad correcting. Hop I meant

Back