Dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aracer

Reaction score
What is better, put the dextrose dose straight into the bottles or prepare it with water and mix it with the beer pr

Weighing/measuring the right amount per bottle is tricky and time consuming. You want to aim at being within 5-10%, definitely within 20% to prevent bigger problems, mostly over-carbonation and bottle bombs.

The crystals/powder may cause extra foaming when filling, due to adding nucleation sites to the beer. There's already quite a bit of CO2 in your beer from fermentation (around 1 volume).

Premixing and adding to the bottling bucket is by far the easiest. Premixing and shooting the right volume with a syringe into each bottle is next.

Weighing/measuring the right amount per bottle is tricky and time consuming. You want to aim at being within 5-10%, definitely within 20% to prevent bigger problems, mostly over-carbonation and bottle bombs.

The crystals/powder may cause extra foaming when filling, due to adding nucleation sites to the beer. There's already quite a bit of CO2 in your beer from fermentation (around 1 volume).

Premixing and adding to the bottling bucket is by far the easiest. Premixing and shooting the right volume with a syringe into each bottle is next.
I agree. Not that complicated. Find your desired volume of co2. Create a sugar solution that works for your syringe capacity. Divide batch by number of bottles (if all the same size) and dose each bottle before filling. Works well for me.

I do batch priming as well; however, there are a decent number of brewers that prefer priming each bottle for various reasons. One is that you don't need a bottling bucket. Using those sugar dots is another and, as long as it's not over-primed, they're satisfied with just being in the ballpark. Claims are made that sometimes/frequently batch priming doesn't work because it doesn't mix properly.
I would find out more, test both at some point and then see which you prefer.

Perhaps not best practice but I add priming sugar directly to the bottles then fill. I've had no noticeable issues with unequal carbonation.

This process eliminates the primary to bottling bucket step, which not only makes bottling simpler and quicker for me it also eliminates one potential source of contamination and oxidation...but mostly I do this cuz I find it easier and quicker.

Perhaps not best practice but I add priming sugar directly to the bottles then fill. I've had no noticeable issues with unequal carbonation.

This process eliminates the primary to bottling bucket step, which not only makes bottling simpler and quicker for me it also eliminates one potential source of contamination and oxidation...but mostly I do this cuz I find it easier and quicker.

No problem if you measure carefully.

Please use descriptive titles for your threads, like "how to prime with dextrose?".

It helps us help you, since we browse through hundreds of threads.

Back