Dextrose Tablets Not Dissolving in Cider... why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glencandle

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm jumping the gun here but about a week ago I popped some dextrose tablets into 20oz flip tops filled with a dry cider (grav 1.0)... my first cider experiment..

I wasn't expecting to find a layer of sludge in the bottom of each bottle. The bottles are dark so all I see is a silhouette of what honestly look like the goo inside of a lava lamp (when I turn the bottle upside down and wait for the sludge to drop to the other side)

I have thrown the tablets into mead and hard kefir and they dissolved very fast. Do cider and dextrose not agree? Or does it just take a while? I'm confused.

Ps. This is my first post, cheers!

A week definitely seems too long. Mine are all dissolved (including in the ciders) within a few hours. Have you shaken up the bottles a bit?

A week definitely seems too long. Mine are all dissolved (including in the ciders) within a few hours. Have you shaken up the bottles a bit?

I shook initially but haven’t since. I’ll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks for chiming in! I can’t find anything related to this in a google search, it is very perplexing.

It sounds more like a combination of pectin and yeast, and not actually the sugar. I'd pop one in the fridge and let it sit still so that stuff can stick to the bottom and then open one and try it.

It sounds more like a combination of pectin and yeast, and not actually the sugar. I'd pop one in the fridge and let it sit still so that stuff can stick to the bottom and then open one and try it.

This is a good theory, can’t discount it. I racked the cider off the lees before bottling but I guess this could still be the case.

The strange thing is that I noticed the goop in the bottle the first day, and it is in every bottle, so I assumed the tablets just hadn’t dissolved yet.

Not sure how there could be so much yeast in every bottle considering I racked carefully. But it is also quite strange that the sugar won’t dissolve so your theory is growing on me.

Back