Dextrose: boiled or not boiled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have stumbled upon a issue that I've gotten several answers. Boil dextrose at the highest kraussen point or add when bottling. I've gotten conflicting information about spores being on dextrose from not being boiled. I'm no chemistry major (though I did get a good grade in college). What method works best?

Typical process is to boil about 4oz for 5 gallons (depending on carbonation level desired) when you are ready to rack. Do this when you are ready to bottle and let it cool before adding it to the beer.

If you have a bottling bucket, you should fill it to about the 2 gallon mark, add some of the dextrose, add another 2 gallons of beer then more dextrose then the final gallon and the final bit of the dextrose; then stir gently

You could add it to the fermenter however the beer still needs to come out of the fermentor, which is why most people have a bottling bucket. Dextrose matters less if you are kegging.

I have a secondary fermenter that I was going to use the boiled dextrose. Your idea sounds alot easier while I'm racking to the secondary.

Boil the dextrose (for bottling) for a few minutes to sanitize it.
Then...
Just throw it in the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top of it.

Note:
Don't worry about cooking it down. Just throw it in.

Boiling the priming sugar and racking to a bottling bucket is the general preferred method (I use it too). But you can add the dry sugar straight to the bottles if that is what you want.

Adding dry sugar will result in inconsistency between bottles with respect to carbonation,

Back