Dexter on CBS!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please tell me that Showtime did not sell the rights for Dexter to CBS. This is my favorite series going right now. I am hoping that CBS is just going to be running reruns of the first three seasons. Anyone know what's going on?

You could be right about the 2 seasons. the thing that scares me is this whole CBS thing. The series would never be the same if it was on Public Cable.:mad:

CBS is airing reruns of the first season of Dexter. Showtime still owns the rights and has been green lighted for a 3rd season coming in the fall of '08.

Showtime is more than likely capitalizing on the success of Dexter on premium cable and selling rights to broadcast on network television as HBO has done with The Sopranos and Sex and The City. The first season is going to be broadcast weekly on CBS, though its going to be STRONGLY edited for content I would suspect.

Even though I don't like the idea of this EXCELLENT original series being chopped up and edited for content on network TV, I still think its going to blow any CBS crime drama series out of the water.

"Tonight's the night. And it's going to happen again, and again. It has to happen. Nice night. "

EDIT: PS Im glad you posted this thread because I was considering doing the same thing at work today.

The reason shows are moving around should be obvious: The Writer's Strike.

I've heard talk that the same thing is going to be happening with one of my favorite shows, The 4400 which might move from the USA network to NBC.

If you pay attention to such things, it really boils down to about 5 major companies owning "everything" in the Media - Viacom owns CBS - guess who owns Showtime...

Viacom.

The show isn't changing hands, they're just desperate for ratings when most of the "regular" shows aren't moving.

I adore Dexter...and I get to miss the chopped up (pardon the pun) version because I have the first season on DVD. *grins*

So long as they don't try to start making the series for network television, I'll be pretty okay with it.

I suppose I would care if I had emotions, but in the interests of appearing "normal" I express my disgust.

:D

I watched the first season online and via Bitlord. As a huge fan of the show who doesn't have Showtime, I am SO pumped that they are putting it on CBS. I don't think they should have to edit it too much though, they have been fairly liberal in what they can show on tv lately as long as they throw a disclaimer at the beginning...

Buford said:
I suppose I would care if I had emotions, but in the interests of appearing "normal" I express my disgust.

:D
I wish I could experience that for a day or so.

Silviakitty said:
So long as they don't try to start making the series for network television, I'll be pretty okay with it.

I think it is pretty clear that they make almost all those shows for network television. They know full well that they will milk the series for money for years to come if they make the stuff they are forced to edit out for network television easy to remove withotu destroying the plot.

Dexter and Sopranos both were made in such a way that they can easily edit content without losing so much in the process that it is unwatchable.

But in order to keep people paying for their rather lucrative subscription channels they'll hold onto their hits for as long as possible before farming them out to the networks---- the writer's strike is just accellerating that process.

I'd be interested to see the math that went into deciding to put season one of dexter out to network while the dvd sales were still in the early stages. Putitng the show out to network means that the DVD sales will slow, forcing them to cut the price.

Back