Deviant Frenchie (Golden sour)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
ECY Bugfarm2
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Various dregs (listed in posts to follow)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
unknown (anticipating around 1.002)
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
30 Days @ 75°F (ambient room temperature)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
335 Days @ 75°F (ambient room temperature)
Tasting Notes
https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2011/06/sour-golden-ale-tasting.html
68% German Pilsner
20% Maris Otter
08% Wheat Malt
04% Flaked Oats

Mash guidelines:
Single infusion mash at 154F, 75 minutes
1.43 quarts/lb
Batch sparged (twice, since I only have a 3 gallon stock pot to use for sparging)

Water:
100% distilled with 1/2 tsp of Gypsum and CaCl added per 5 gallons

Hops:
14 IBUs of Willamette at 75 minutes

Extras:
Whirlfloc added to boil at 15 minutes
1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient added to boil at 10 minutes

Since I only just brewed this recipe I have attached links to the authors tasting notes but I will post my own updates regarding samples, possible fruit/oak additions and any other relevant information.

This is a recipe that Michael Tonsmeire posted on his website and is in no way my own recipe and I am in no way trying to take credit for. By brewing and posting this I am just showing my appreciation for the impressive amount of work he has done and made available to us. He has it posted as Deviant Cable Car but I changed the name to Deviant Frenchie because I brewed this on my brew partners' (my French Bulldog, Stitch) birthday and will celebrate her next birthday with a bottle of our first sour.

Last edited:
thats A lot of anticipation to invest in a brew. Good luck.

I'm not entirely sure I know what I've gotten myself into, to be honest. A year is a LONG time to stare longingly at a carboy! I have 5 more vials to experiment with and plan on harvesting/re-pitching cake at least once per vial so I will be able to keep my mind occupied while I wait..so long as I can wrangle up enough carboys!

By the way: the airlock smells GREAT! :mug:

I recently realized that the primary pitch of ECY Bugfarm2 does not contain any Pedio so I decided to add the dregs from a bottle of Boulevards' Lovechild No. 9.

Having never added dregs before I was a little nervous and didn't want to keep the bung off the carboy for any longer than necessary so I didn't take any gravity readings or a sample. The quick sniff I took showed that there is already some Brett funk developing.

Hopefully the Brett will leave enough food for the microbes to chew on and build a sour profile. Only time will tell. Cheers!

Just added dregs from a bottle of JesterKing Wytchmaker (which is a fanTASTIC beer..). I took a few seconds to smell the carboy with the bung off and this smells wonderful so far. The dominant barnyard/hay/brett profile from a month ago, though still subtly present, is now beginning to blend with some developing citrusy/fruity aromas. I can't wait..

Still no samples taken but there are tiny bubbles rising from the trub so I believe there is still some food for the bugs to work on.

I'm not sure if/when this one will get transferred to a glass carboy but if it does I will take gravity/tasting notes and report back. Cheers!

P.S. Sorry to those of you watching this looking for better updates but this thread is also serving as a 'brew log' so to speak. I suppose I could at least post a picture of the fermentor doing its thing...

I transferred this to secondary for the long haul today. I had an issue with my siphon so there were quite a few air pockets in the tubing for the first half of the transfer. Now my biggest concern is that I will have 5 gallons of vinegar in about 10 months..I should have just let it sit on the cake for the duration. Oh well, only time will tell and there's nothing I can do about it anyway. Time for a HB!

I finally pulled a sample and after nearly two months it is down to 1.002! I was not expecting to get that low so quickly. Hopefully the bugs have enough to work with. If not I'll add some Maltodextrin in a few months if it isn't souring by then. Next time I will mash higher and do a mashout to keep my wort less fermentable.

Flavor is nice though. So far tastes like a bright, crisp Saison similar to Apex Predator by Off Color or Bam Bier by Jolly Pumpkin (though I wouldn't stand a chance in a side by side comparison. Those are just what the sample reminded me of). Very little Brett character and just a hint of alcohol heat, which is surprising on account of how dry it is and it's 7.6%

As long as this doesn't become vinegar I still have high hopes for this batch even though it is likely already at terminal gravity and the bugs are probably starving.

GS1.jpg
GS2.jpg

10 months in secondary! It has dropped out crystal clear and smells wonderfully tart, citrusy with hints of stone fruit. I haven't pulled a sample yet but I know this one is going to be delicious. I really wish I would have topped this one up so I could have an extra few bottles!

I need to get this one bottled up soon so it's carbonated in time for Stiches 21st (dog year) birthday!

Thanks, @IslandLizard that means a lot to me coming from someone like you! I know I'll need to add some yeast to this beast before bottling but have quite a bit of reading to do before I give that a go. Brett vs. Sacch, how much, which strains, etc. I'm really excited for this one!

My basement is horribly underutilized :( my wife gave me the green light to put an electric rig down there but I barely have time to drink beer anymore, let alone brew it lol.

Back