developing a house beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phish2160

Reaction score
I am looking to develop a house beer for my three tap kegerator. I am dabbling with the idea of an English mild. I want something in the 4% abv range that still has a nice malt presence. Any thoughts or house brew suggestions?

Just brew what you like.

Milds, cream ales, blondes, wheats, APAs, bitters, ambers, and browns all work well as house ales. Heck, a light bière de garde or saison would work nicely as well.

But it doesn't have to be something typical. After tasting Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome (an old ale/winter warmer), I don't think I'd mind having that on tap year-round.

And really, that's all that matters... what would YOU like to constantly have on tap?

Mild is a great choice. Easy to brew, quick to mature, and full flavored. Also, with a good top cropping yeast (wy1968, 1318, 1187) you can use the same yeast over and over again.

Here is a superb mild recipe, one of the best ones out there. I've tweaked this recipe a dozen times over and it's always turned out excellent.

American Homebrewers Association

Good luck!

Ya...taps are at a premium around here...I have 2. I wish I could keep 1 certain beer around. I brew, force carb, chill, drink some, bottle what is left, repeat. I do however have some interesting "mixed 6ers" ;) none of which has "a standard" or "the house" ale in them.

I have some ideas for you. Try something simple with a OG of 1.045ish . Pick a base malt ONLY and a hop variety or 3 under 5%AA that is used for its best qualities (bittering/flavoring/aroma). Boil for 90 minutes then make the correct hop additions @ 90, 60, 20, 7 and/or 0 minutes. use a clean yeast strain like US-05 or lager if you can. Then sample. When YOU have a beer that YOU love then you have your recipe.

It just doesn't sound right for us to make your house recipe...lol.

I thought I wanted a house beer so I started working on a pale ale recipe. A recipe with significant hop presence and enough malt to carry a great balance with very clean fermentation. I have found the way to do this and continue to tinker, but sometimes I just have too many other ideas that must get brewed. I keep a pale ale on tap 50-66% of the time but sometimes I just want a bunch of funky beers. Find your house beer and love it, but don't let it inhibit your creativity.
I do think a mild would be a great house beer. Good luck in your quest, as the others have said you should brew what you like.

I have 2 house beers - an APA for me and a blond ale for my guests. I guess I'm fortunate in that I have a 5 tap setup but if I only had a 2 tap setup then 1 would be what I like and 1 would be what my guests like.

I keep Biermuncher's "cream of three crops" on tap pretty often. I sub the corn for oats and its a smooth mild beer that is very sessionable and doesnt scare guests that are more of the bmc type. Plus its cheap and quick.

Back