Determining the amount of lactic acid to add to sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
Is there a "quick and dirty" method of determining the amount of lactic acid 88% to use to drop sparge water pH by a constant amount i.e. "1 ml of lactic acid in 1 gallon of sparge water will reduce pH by X units"?

The amount required depends on the original pH and alkalinity of the water and the pH you want to shift it to. Bru'n water has a calculator.

I am aware of this but could have worded my question better. Assume that my tap water pH is 8.1, I'm aiming for a sparge pH of 5.7 and I want to sparge with 6 gallons. Bru'n Water will calculate for the sake of argument 3 ml of lactic acid for me. Can I assume I can always add .5 ml of lactic acid per gallon of sparge water regardless of the grain bill, batch size etc. since 3 ml / 6 gallons = .5 ml lactic acid per gallon of sparge water?

I am aware of this but could have worded my question better. Assume that my tap water pH is 8.1, I'm aiming for a sparge pH of 5.7 and I want to sparge with 6 gallons. Bru'n Water will calculate for the sake of argument 3 ml of lactic acid for me. Can I assume I can always add .5 ml of lactic acid per gallon of sparge water regardless of the grain bill, batch size etc. since 3 ml / 6 gallons = .5 ml lactic acid per gallon of sparge water?

Assuming the same water composition and target pH, yes, the amount of acid required is a linear function of the amount of water treated.

Back