Determining FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramman

Reaction score
so my first brew is in its second day in the fermenter and it has stopped bubbling. i searched and found out that it could be finished, but that i needed to take a FG reading several times to actually find out. the kit i bought from my LHBS specifies an original gravity of 1.047, (IBU's 23.6 color 21.5 SRM i dont think these affect FG) and and alcohol content of 4.5%. but no FG. i know the ABV correlates with the FG in some way but i dont know how. any help suggestions would be great thanks

ah yeah all right so i used 6lbs. light LME, 1/2lb 60l Crystal Malt (steeped) , 1/2lb Chocolate Malt (steeped), total 2 oz fuggle .5oz added at 60, 30, 15, 0. using WLP002 English ale yeast and this is for a 5 gal batch

ahh ok well i have seen 1 or 2 bubbles in the past couple of hours so i guess ill at least wait until tomorow to take a reading

bubbles in the airlock don't really mean anything. if the room temperature increases 4 degrees, CO2 is gonna come out of solution and will bubble the airlock.

vibrations from a truck driving by outside can cause the airlock to bubble.

but a hydrometer reading cannot lie (assuming your hydro is calibrated).

Yooper's estimated FG range looks right to me. a drier yeast strain might have pushed you down to 1.010 but that's about it.

Back