Destiny, Enamel Stripper DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adaman05

Reaction score
Brewing this up tomorrow. Shooting for an 8% beer light in color and heavy heavy on hop flavor without biting bitterness. Let me know what you think. It's obviously Heady Topper influenced but I'm looking for the Citra to really bring out some citrus. We'll see how it turns out. I'll be kegging and then bottling a few from the keg for a competition.

6 gal
OG: 1.072
FG: 1.011
SRM: 6.6
ABV: 8.1%
IBUS: ???

Two-Row (84.4%)
Munich (3.9%)
Carapils (3.9%)
Caramalt Light (3.9%)

10 mL HopShot @ 90 min
.5 oz Apollo @ 5 min
1 oz Citra @ 5 min
1 oz each of Citra, Centennial, Simcoe, Columbus @ 0 min
1 oz each of Citra, Centennial, Simcoe, Columbus @ Aroma steep at 180F
Dry hop 1: 1 oz each of Citra, Centennial, Simcoe, Columbus (3 days)
Dry hop 2: 1 oz each of Citra, Centennial, Simcoe, Columbus (3 days)

2L starter of Vermont Ale Yeast (Conan)

Looks REALLY good! What are you mashing at to end up at 1.011? A little sugar may help get you there, though I know Conan is a beast

Oh forgot to add dextrose! I planned on that. Mashing 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Overall looks pretty good.

If you want a lower level of bitterness, you should drop the hop extract to 5ml.

Also, unless you are just trying to use it up, drop the Munich. At 4% its doing nothing.

I find that I get the most out of Citra by using a 20 minute addition

Adding my first dose of 4 oz dry hops today. It's been 7 days since brew day. OG was 1.073 and it's now at 1.014 - 80% apparent attenuation which I'm good with. I doubt it will drop any more. Gravity sample was mighty tasty.

This just took the gold medal for the IPA table at the Schnapp Hans Cup with a score of 39. Just missed out on best of show ;) Eagerly awaiting my scoresheets!

I just gotta say - that name rocks!

The recipe looks great too! Let us know how it turns out

Re-brewing this Monday for the same competition. I had to tweak it a little bit based on feedback from score sheets, so I went with more Munich, a different hop schedule with a few substitutions, and am thinking about subbing out all the base 2 row for Golden Promise. What do you think? This time I want to win Best of Show and not just the IPA category, though I suspect that will not be possible since you get to brew your recipe on the professional rig and this would just be way too expensive scaled up to that level. That's my hunch as to why certain brews win those competitions, at least ;) Anyways, let me know what you think.

OG: 1.084
FG: 1.012

16.5 lbs two row or Golden promise
2 lb Munich
.75 lb Carapils
.75 lb Caramalt (15 SRM)
.75 lb dextrose

1.75 oz Apollo 60 min
.5 oz Apollo and 1 oz Citra 5 min
1 oz Citra, 1 oz Apollo, 1 oz El Dorado, 1 oz Simcoe, 1 oz Cascade 0 min
1 oz Citra, 1 oz Apollo, 1 oz El Dorado, 1 oz Simcoe, 1 oz Cascade 160F

Dry hop in 2 stages: 2 oz Citra, 2 oz El Dorado, 2 oz Apollo, 2 oz Cascade, 2 oz Simcoe

Conan if I can find some cultured locally from a HBTer. If not, probably 3 packs of 05. Mash 150F. I treat all my water with campden and lactic acid, and will be adding gypsum to my already hard Madison water. I've had better luck treating my tap water than using RO and building it up.

Back