Desired Volumes of CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
What number should this be? I'm using Beersmith. My batch volume ended up lower than 5 gallons. Im going to find out how much i had and I want to plug in the numbers to beersmith to see how much corn sugar to use. But what should the desired co2 volume be?

Update:

Found out I measured about 24 ounces short of 5 Gallons. Wasn't as bad as I thought. But I came up with a volume of 4.81 gallons. After my hydrometer readings i figure I have about 4.75. So I put that into beersmith with the desired level of co2 at 2.4...which is what it was set to. i dont know if this is right or wrong.

but it says i should use 3.59 oz of corn sugar for bottling. Does this sound right?

Its never wrong, its just a matter of your preference in carbonation. <2 volumes is like British beers, >4 is like witbier. Go with your preference. That sounds right on for 2.4 volumes.

Depends both on preference, and style of beer. What kind of beer is it?

K thanks those who responded. Ill do somewhere between and 2.4 - 2.8. This is my first brew so ill find out what I prefer along the way.

Back