Design me a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlosM

Reaction score
So Im stuck in a rut been brewing APA's IPA's, Porters and a Irish Red Ale.
dont know what to make so here are my ingredients

(Im not opposed to buying some more speciality grains)

Grains/adjuncts
===============================
Rahr 2 row
Roasted Barley
Crystal Malt 40L
Carahell
Chocolate Malt
Carafa TYPE I

Flaked Maize
Flaked Rye
Quick Oats

Hops
===============================
Ahantum 6%
Amarillo
Bravo
Cascade
Chinook
Colombus
Fuggles
Mt. Hood
Nugget
Perle
Willamette

Yeast is up for grabs

Happy trail boys :)

You could make a brown. Get yourself some rye and make a yummy amber (check my recipe drop down). But it generally seems like your ingrediants are geared toward the aformentioned brew styles. So I would say find what you want, then get yourself some new ingrediants.

How about an ESB. You won't have to buy anything else and who doesn't love ESBs?

5.5 gal

OG 1.054
IBU 32
SRM 13

10 lbs. 2-row
0.5 lb. crystal 40
0.25 lb. chocolate

1.25 oz. fuggles 60 min
0.5 oz. fuggles 20 min.
0.5 oz. fuggles 5 min.

ferment with s-04

or you could add some roasted barley to the above recipe, add some more bittering hops, take out the aroma/flavor additions and have a stout.

You could do tons of recipes with those. Maybe you could do a crazy stout or something.

60 or 70 percent 2row
10 percent roasted barley
10 percent chocolate
10 percent oats
Buy some wheat malt for head and body maybe? Or just up the oats

Notty, S05/04 maybe Irish Ale liquid yeast... yuuuummm.

Fuggles/Chinook.... Ahantum for finishing... I've been wanting to use some myself.

How about an easy-drinking session ale?

Ordinary Bitter can be easily brewed with what you've got. 10% Crystal, 10% flaked maize, the rest pale malt. Mash high. Target an OG of no more than 1038. Target an IBU around 30. Bitter with Perle, finish with Fuggles. Ferment with a fruity English ale yeast.

Another thought: Go the opposite way.

Belgian-style Dubbel - Target an OG of 1070. 5% Carahell, 5% Crystal, a touch of Carafa for color, 10% sugar, the rest 2-row. Hop with Mt Hood, targeting an IBU of ~20. Add a touch - maybe a quarter-ounce in five gallons - at flameout. Ferment with a spicy Belgian strain, like Trappist High Gravity or Ardennes or something.

This is fun. I adore these "Here's what I got, what should I brew" threads! Stimulates the creativity glands. :D

Bob

do yourself a favor and get Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. It'll teach you how to make your own recipes. Easily the most helpful book in my arsenal. :mug:

I'm thinking American Stout with Columbus bittering and Amarillo for flavoring and aroma. Toss some oats in there for mouth feel and maybe some rye for a bit of spice.

hummmm..... that has me thinking... off to BeerSmith :D

Amarillo in a stout? Really? Hmm... I like the idea of rye in there, mmb. I'd be curious to see what you come up with.

How about an easy-drinking session ale?

Ordinary Bitter can be easily brewed with what you've got. 10% Crystal, 10% flaked maize, the rest pale malt. Mash high. Target an OG of no more than 1038. Target an IBU around 30. Bitter with Perle, finish with Fuggles. Ferment with a fruity English ale yeast.

Another thought: Go the opposite way.

Belgian-style Dubbel - Target an OG of 1070. 5% Carahell, 5% Crystal, a touch of Carafa for color, 10% sugar, the rest 2-row. Hop with Mt Hood, targeting an IBU of ~20. Add a touch - maybe a quarter-ounce in five gallons - at flameout. Ferment with a spicy Belgian strain, like Trappist High Gravity or Ardennes or something.

This is fun. I adore these "Here's what I got, what should I brew" threads! Stimulates the creativity glands. :D

Bob

hmmm sounds good, never really had a good dubble and never brewed anything european so that might work.

A little out of style for color and OG, but not by much. I'll need to get some more Amarillo and some flaked rye. Looks kind of tasty. :mug:

Code:
Recipe: American Multi Grain Stout
Brewer: mmb
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.75 gal      
Boil Size: 8.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.078 SG
Estimated Color: 44.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 71.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
12 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        73.53 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz  Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        8.82 %        
1 lbs         Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)          Grain        5.88 %        
12.0 oz       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)     Grain        4.41 %        
12.0 oz       Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        4.41 %        
8.0 oz        Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM)                     Grain        2.94 %        
1.50 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20 %]  (60 min)   Hops         66.2 IBU      
1.00 oz       Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (5 min)           Hops         5.1 IBU       
2 Pkgs        SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)    Yeast-Ale                  

60 minute mash @ 154

well guys im going with ESB

and got some new malts today :)

NEW GRAINS
====================
Vienna 2lbs
Special B 1lb
Gambrinus Honey Malt 2lbs

Im looking for a huge malt backbone

I also got some 1028 London Ale

Latest posts

Back