Desert wine Fermenting Help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitewines

Reaction score
Okay, so I got a desert wine kit that I started on April 11th, with a SG of 1.121 and it's been fermenting in the basement with a temperature of about 67 degrees. The directions state that I need to have a SG of 1.020 before I can go to the next step. It seems that things are slowing down or stalled, I'm assuming the fermenting process. Is there anything that can be done to get it down to the target of 1.020 SG?

April 18 - SG 1.075
April 21 - SG 1.045
April 25 - SG 1.040

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but the yeast used is EC-1118.

Thank you in advance.

Add a tsp of yeast nutrients (e.g., Fermaid K) to the fermentor. If yo have it, dump another EC-1118 in there.

I do wonder though, if it's a desert wine maybe you don't want to dry it out? Did you reserve must for back-sweetening? Maybe just kmeta the wine and call it a day.

Moscato?

sometimes just swirling the yeast back into suspension can help. But where you are at right now, you may have to make a starter and decant to get another batch of healthy yeast in there. But be patient, it will slow down near the end, that was a big OG and the yeast are tired.

I start all my kits at 72°, if this is a dessert wine you have a sweetener that is to be added after primary is done and racked. 3 weeks is not unusual for a kit to stay on primary.

Back