Deschutes Black Butte Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Hi all...Just wondering if anyone knew of a recipe for a BB Porter clone...Austin doesnt seem to have one on their site, so I turn to you guys (and girls) for info...Black Butte has a special spot in my heart as I had to argue with my father in law for 2 weeks in regards to having this kegged at my wedding...He said Bud was appropriate...lol...Thanks

It is in the BYO 150 clones issue. I haven't tried it but is one of my favorite porters.

I also don't have the issue near by but can post it later if no one else has yet.

Here's the BYO recipe.

9 lbs. two-row
10 oz. crystal 60
9 oz. chocolate malt

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes

.25 oz. Galena at 60 minutes
.75 oz Cascade at 30 minutes
1 oz. tettnanger at 15 minutes

Wyeast London Ale III yeast

I have tried this beer side by side with Black Butte - it is very close. I think the London Ale III yeast is key to making this clone - accept no substitutes. :D

And here's an extract recipe I found.

I haven't brewed this, and I haven't tried Black Butte Porter, so I don't know how close this would be to the real thing:

6 lbs Light DME
6 oz chocolate malt
6 oz black patent malt
8 oz honey malt
8 oz crystal 10L
4 oz toasted barley (toast at 350F for 10 minutes)
8 oz maltodextrin
1.5 oz Galena 13%AA (60 min)
1 oz Cascade 5.5%AA (30 min)
1 oz Tettnanger 4.5%AA (5 min)
Wyeast 1338 European Ale yeast

Steep grains in a grain bag for 30 min in 1.5 gallons of water at 158F.
Sparge with 2 quarts of water at 170F.
Mix in extract and maltodextrin and top off with water to desired optimum level for your brew pot. Bring to a boil and follow hops schedule.

Looks reasonable I guess, but I don't know that just steeping honey malt and toasted barley would do you much good. I'd probably do a partial mash instead of steeping (thanks to EdWort's Haus Pale Ale thread for the procedure):

Heat 2.5 qts of water to 168F in a pot.
Heat 3 qts of water to 170F in another pot.
Add (2 lbs total) crushed grains to the pot with the 168F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the wort into your brew pot through a strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

Bring to a boil, add extract and maltodextrin, follow hops schedule.

I'd probably be inclined to try the recipe desertbronze posted first, but anyway, here's an alternative.

I think the London Ale III yeast is key to making this clone - accept no substitutes. :D

I thought so, as well. However, I just got confirmation from the brewer himself that the closest yeast clone to the Deschutes house yeast (which is proprietary) is Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale. He also added that the diacetyl rest is very important for this yeast, as it can produce a decent amount, especially when over pitched.

Back