Denny's 1450 ....wow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowninja1

Reaction score
For the last two years ive been using one variation of the "chico" strain, 1056, o5 or wlp 01. A buddy of mine busted out a delicious pumpkin beer this fall ( dont like pumpkin beer) and it was fantastic ,well balanced and tasty. He used the Wyeast 1450 Denny's favorite. So i gave it a shot using my standard Ipa recipe.
11.5 batch
dennys in a 2l starter@ 65*
O.g. 1.075
F.g. 1.014
90 min boil

22lbs gw 2row
2lbs white winter wheat
2lbs munich
2lbs cr20
2lbs cane sugar @ 30 min

3.5 oz simcoe 60
2.5 oz simcoe 15
4 oz amirillo 10
2.5 oz simcoe 5
2 oz ctz f.o.
2 oz willamete f.o.

1 oz simcoe, nelson and amirillo each 3 times 7, 10 and 14 days at 70*

The hop schedule varies based on whim but malt bill stays consistent.

I kegged this yesterday and im blow away. The mouth feel is great and the malt shows through but not in an obtrusive way, only in support the hops. Also the flavor has dimension from front to back of the palette. Im really excited by these results. I will note the fermentation was slower than that of 1056 ect.... a full week slow and steady.Perhaps the more gentle fermentation has something to do with it. Those who have experience with this yeast could way in?

I like it myself, it's a refreshing change from the usual American stains. But I don't use it very often due to low flocculation. Cold crashing is a pain for me and it takes longer to clear in the keg. If I have a good pipeline going I'll use it for a couple batches, but if I need some brew rather quickly I'll go with something else.

Cold crashed it for three days and it was still rather murky ..... 1056 flocc's poorly too. After a few weeks in the keg perhaps it will clean up.

Back