Denny Conn's Rye IPA- no rice hulls!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've only used rye malt once, way back in the Brewpastor's 777 recipe. Tomorrow I want to do Denny Conn's Rye IPA, and I realized I don't have any rice hulls at all.

Is the mash (11 pounds pale malt, 3 pounds rye malt) going to be too sticky with my cooler MLT and false bottom? I don't have a braid, so I'm hoping it'll work out for me. How sticky is this going to be?

Second question- no Wyeast 1272. I was thinking about using my washed WLP041 (Pacific ale yeast). The OG will be around 1.075, and I'll ferment at 65-68 degrees.

Any thoughts?

You're at just over 20% rye and it's malt rather than flakes. I think you will be fine without rice hulls. That yeast sounds perfectly acceptable.

You should be OK. The grains of Rye Malt that I have are a little smaller than standard two row and won't crush as much at the same setting. If you're still worried, open up the gap in your mill and add a little extra grain to make up for a small loss in efficiency. The coarser crush will make up for a lack of hulls.

You should be OK. The grains of Rye Malt that I have are a little smaller than standard two row and won't crush as much at the same setting. If you're still worried, open up the gap in your mill and add a little extra grain to make up for a small loss in efficiency. The coarser crush will make up for a lack of hulls.

I'm crushing at about .039, so it's probably about right then. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I didn't even look at the size of the rye malt, just put it into storage when I got it. I didn't realize that it might be smaller.

I'm probably going to batch sparge tomorrow for expediency's sake.

Thanks!

I have never had a stuck runoff with that beer....or any other, for that matter!

Thanks for the recipe- I'm really looking forward to this one. I've used Mt. Hood before in lagers, but never in an IPA (never thought to, I guess), so this is pretty much uncharted territory for me!

I have only had trouble with equal parts Pale Malt and Rye Malt, otherwise, no worries, I like to add a good 10-15% rye to many of my beers for good head retention and flavor and I never have problems

As the rest have stated, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are worried at all you can do a gum rest; around 113F I think. I usually do a gum rest when it's a high % wheat or rye.

Yeah, but that's only about 18%. A beta glucan rest shouldn't really be needed.

Re: the Mt. Hood hops.....when John Maier of Rogue tried it for the first time, the thing that impressed him most was the combo of Columbus and Mt. Hood. Said he never would have thought of that! Then he said to me "this is the flavor I've been looking for!" I didn't quit grinning for a week!

I have made this a few times you will not need any rice hulls. My gap is .035 and I do not have problems with rye.

Back