Demon Hopyard IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
This recipe is on P.265 of Mitch Steele's IPA book. I'm wondering if anyone has brewed this. I'm having trouble figuring out how much hops goes into it. it gives this info:
Originally named Devil's Hopyard by AB when he was working for them (Devil's Hopyard is a hiking area in New Hampshire)
Water/grain ratio - 2.8/1 (1.35qt/lb)
Gypsum - 0.026 oz/gal
upward infusion mash
mash hop - 0.06 oz/gal Palisades hop pellets (hops during the mash!)
mash in @ 95F
Raise Temp to 150F in 15 min and hold for 15 min
Raise temp to 163F in 10 min prior to lautering
Boil time is 60 min, but AB used shorter boil times due to wort strippers later in the process. A 90 min boil would be more appropriate in a homebrew recipe.
Total kettle hopping rate is 1.46 lb/bbl.
Add Gypsum - 0.026 oz/gal to wort w/ first hop addition
First 15.8% Cascade and 10.5% Palisade @ 60 min
Second 15.8% Cascade and 31.5% Palisade @ 50 min
Third 8.4% Cascade and 7.4% Columbus @ 40 min
Final 5.3% Cascade and 5.3% Columbus @ 10 min
Yeast - NCYC1044
Ferment @ 72F for Primary, rack off yeast and chill to 50F.
Dry hop w/Cascade - 0.35 oz/gal and Columbus @ 0.12 oz/gal
OG = 1.065 FG = 1014 ADF = 78.4% IBU = 120 (calculated), 70 in finished beer ABV = 7% SRM = 14L
NOTE: I have re-written this so I could put it down in a way that I could understand - more like the recipes I'm used to seeing!

I think I've figured out the grains, using BeerSmith. All of the 4 hop additions add up to 100%, but without a total amount of each of the separate hops, I'm stymied.

He gives the amt/gal for the Gypsum, the mash hop, as well as the Dry Hops, but I'm lost at figuring out the amounts for the hop additions. I'm hoping that some guru's out there in homebrewland have either brewed this recipe, or can give me some direction as to calculation of the hops. As an alternative, if anyone knows his email, I'd like to email him directly if you'd share that email.
THX

1lbs of hops per barrel of beer is pretty much 0.53oz per gal (16oz / 30 gal). The recipe says it is hopped at 1.46 lb/bbl which works out to about 0.78 oz/gal, just go from there. If you are going for a 5 gal recipe you are looking at 3.9 oz of hops in total.

15.8% of 3.9 oz = 0.62oz
10.5% of 3.9 oz = 0.41oz
15.8% of 3.9 oz = 0.62oz
31.5% of 3.9 oz = 1.23oz
8.4% of 3.9 oz = 0.33oz
7.4% of 3.9 oz = 0.29oz
5.3% of 3.9 oz = 0.21oz
5.3% of 3.9 oz = 0.21oz

I haven't plugged the numbers into Beersmith to see how the IBU's work out but that should get you going.

Edit - Math

Well I was curious, so I plugged it into Beersmith. The IBU's don't seem to match, Mitch says the recipe is 120 IBU's calculated and Beersmith is spitting out 76 IBU's for me. However he does say there are 70 IBU's in the finished beer, so who knows?! Could be the default AA's on the hops in Beersmith vs what Mitch was using at the time, or Beersmith is just more accurate at predicting the finished 70 IBU's?

DEMON’S HOPYARD IPA.JPG

That would end up being a pretty dang bitter IPA. Very unappealing, IMO. When did this book come out? Looks like something that might have been popular 10-15 years ago.

That would end up being a pretty dang bitter IPA. Very unappealing, IMO.

Agreed. This is definitely an "old school" style IPA. Not my cup of tea, but that appears to be the recipe and hop amounts. Looks like the book was published in 2012. The blurb in the book on this recipe says;

"As part of a team, I helped create this beer at the Anheuser-Busch Merrimack Brewery in 2005 and 2006. It was short lived, but it had the distinction of being only the second IPA ever to be released by Anheuser-Busch, and the first one with the designation of IPA in the name (the first IPA was American Hop Ale, released as part of the American Originals series in 1996). The original name was Devil’s Hopyard IPA, named after a popular hiking area in New Hampshire."

So a AB-InBev IPA that was developed in 2005. She's a bit dated at this point I think.

If it were me, I'd get about 30IBU's from the CTZ at 60 min, and then use the Palisades and Cascade in some sort of combination from 15min-flame out. Palisades puts off a very pleasant floral aroma if used from 5 min or later in the boil and dry hop.

Agreed. This is definitely an "old school" style IPA. Not my cup of tea, but that appears to be the recipe and hop amounts. Looks like the book was published in 2012. The blurb in the book on this recipe says;

"As part of a team, I helped create this beer at the Anheuser-Busch Merrimack Brewery in 2005 and 2006. It was short lived, but it had the distinction of being only the second IPA ever to be released by Anheuser-Busch, and the first one with the designation of IPA in the name (the first IPA was American Hop Ale, released as part of the American Originals series in 1996). The original name was Devil’s Hopyard IPA, named after a popular hiking area in New Hampshire."

So a AB-InBev IPA that was developed in 2005. She's a bit dated at this point I think.

Good info. I've never heard of that beer, probably because it tasted terrible and was canceled by AB.

Thanks folks .... I was thinking of putting this brew in my schedule - got a few others to make first, but I hope to get to this one as well, if I live long enuff ;>). I like bitter beers, so this might be my cuppa!

IF/When I get to it, I'll post back on this thread as to my thoughts on good/bad. After all, it did come from AB, so it may be a bad move to brew it, but then again, since Mitch had a hand in the design of it ........
:mug:

Back