demerara sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of flavor contribution I will get from this sugar adjunct? I have a ESB recipe that calls for 1 lb of this. I was hoping that a little of the molasses flavor would come through.

Thanks,

A little of the molasses flavour and that's about it I expect. I just did an ESB with some for the first time, I've yet to taste it though.

Old Speckled Hen is a good example of the use of Demerara sugar. Although I think the taste of the lyles golden syrup is predominant. I don't think you get much at all from the sugar, mostly fermentable.

Agreed, the sugar lends very little if any flavor IME. I could see it adding something in a lighter beer but not an ESB

I've tried bob's formula for an ordinary bitter; 80/10/10 Marris Otter/C60/Demerara and I think it really lended quite a bit of flavor, also drying it out from the sugar. I use it at about 5% in my current bitter recipies, I really like what it does.

Demerara is my preferred priming sugar too, especially for any english beer....it will also add a touch of color as an adjunct if you are brewing something really light....

I know this is an old post but does anyone think that demerara sugar would taste good in pear cider?

Back