Deleting Facebook "friends"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Is there any rule or procedure I should follow for this?

I just recently put up a facebook account and an old classmate ( a year older) sent me a friend request. So I thought, ohh neat, sure. Well, i get nothing but crap that i do not want to read. I do not care about her GD kids or how they make her fell all frickin fuzzy and ****.

Do i just delete her? Will this be known by her if i do it?

Facebook virgin here. not sure about the house rules.

what would you do?

i always accept the friend and then "hide" them from my facebook screen. i'd guess about a 1/4th of my "friends" are hidden.

I delete people who annoy me, I don't talk to or want to deal with constantly. What does it matter if she knows or not - you are deleting them because you don't like them ;).

People are not alerted when you delete them, and unless you are their only "friend" or they check their friends list all the time they will never know. I recently went through and deleted several folks myself. No issue at all.

You can also "hide" folks from your log on screen as mentioned above. That way you don't see every little status update, stupid quiz, etc that they do.

another trick is to do nothing when you get a request for someone you don't want to acknowledge.

WHen someone sends you a friend request they can't send another one because it says 'request sent' or something like that. If you accept them they can see your profile etc. If you decline the request then they can 'add' you again. If you do nothing they can't add you again and they can't see your profile.

Welcome to facebook! Soon you will have hundreds of "Friends" and if you are lucky only your best peoples will flood you with crap. I haven't looked at my facebook in months. IMO someone really needs to invent a much better system for old fogies like me. Facebook is for teenagers.

Yeah, this incessant notification pollution really is going to be the downfall of facebook...for f*ck's sake, *****ebags, I don't give one little **** about the idiotic pop-culture quiz you took because you were bored at work and have no friends. Why the hell do those quiz apps really think that whenever anyone takes the quiz, everyone on their friends list needs to be notified that they indeed took the quiz?

Which brings me to my next question: who in the hell actually takes these quizzes? Here's the only goddamn quiz you need:

QUESTION #1: Have you ever taken, or do you ever plan on taking, a facebook quiz?

a) Yes

b) No

If you answered "a", then you're a *****emollusk and you shouldn't be allowed to own a computer.

[/rant]

Anyway, yeah, JC, if you don't want them to know that you deleted them, just hide them, so you don't get their stupid updates all the time.

Facebook is teh ghey. I'd suggest just deleting them. If you don't have any association with them in Real Life™, then it doesn't hurt to sweep them under the rug. It's just like screening your calls, only more satisfying.

Yeah, this incessant notification pollution really is going to be the downfall of facebook...for f*ck's sake, *****ebags, I don't give one little **** about the idiotic pop-culture quiz you took because you were bored at work and have no friends. Why the hell do those quiz apps really think that whenever anyone takes the quiz, everyone on their friends list needs to be notified that they indeed took the quiz? .

Yo...Evan! ..those incessant little notifications show up cause you at one point "Accepted" the Facebook application that produces said notifications. You can either remove the app, change the way the app notifies you, or stop taking all those little pop-culture quizes yourself :D. We know you do..

or just delete the *****enozzles that insist on doing those damn quizzes all day long :rockin:

Yo...Evan! ..those incessant little notifications show up cause you at one point "Accepted" the Facebook application that produces said notifications. You can either remove the app, change the way the app notifies you, or stop taking all those little pop-culture quizes yourself :D. We know you do..

or just delete the *****enozzles that insist on doing those damn quizzes all day long :rockin:

Yeah, I've deleted plenty...and I don't get many notifications any more...but I'm telling you, I've juyst recently gotten e-mail notifications of people joining certain groups and stuff...is that some kind of app as well? I don't care what groups some dude I knew 10 years ago is joining.

oooohhh Evan ADD ME!!

These are the worst. I also love it when you're watching YouTube videos and half the comments are HEY ADD ME ON MYSPACE/FACEBOOK. You're my true friend of if you're a complete stranger and add me. Maybe there is a competition in middleschool/highschool that we don't know about where the most friends wins. Maybe they replaced Selling Magazines.....? You win an alarm clock watch or a PogoBall?

not to be contrary, but i find out about a lot of beer releases and beer news on facebook.

some of the notifcations are annoying, but being spoonfed beer news is nice instead of having to dig around for it.

Yeah, I've deleted plenty...and I don't get many notifications any more...but I'm telling you, I've juyst recently gotten e-mail notifications of people joining certain groups and stuff...is that some kind of app as well? I don't care what groups some dude I knew 10 years ago is joining.

Email? If you are getting email notices then you have a setting somewhere allowing that. I get very few email notices, usually just new friend requests.

I have also started using Facebooks friend lists (groups). You can control what notices and what you see by different lists (groups). I have a few HBT members on Facebook but really I dont know them, but to have a few beer related conversations is nice, otherwise I really don't see anyones status or notifications other than my "Family & Close Friends Group".

I surely cant be the only one that has 'tiered' friends. :D When my wife and I have parties we gauge how big of a party we are going to have by what tier depth we invite. "Oh ****, this party is going to cost us, we are going to tier 4? We are definitely going to need more chairs and bring out the old set of deck furniture for outside..."

Soon you will have hundreds of "Friends"

Guess I'm special. Been on it 6-8 months and have 2 Friends.

Got 3 on LinkedIn.

Now, MySpace, I'd get 20-30 friend requests by 18 year old party-girls a week. Right! Is your momma online?

my comment is a bit late, but I use facebook constantly. I hide all the stupid apps, you can also go to settings- account settings - notifications; this will keep as many people away from you as you like. A tip by which I abide is that if the person is unfamiliar and attractive, I deny; in facebook and myspace; they are marketing bots and will hijack your account...

OH holy crap I need this! My sister in law must do nothing else but find every freakin facebook app to fill out all day. She does literally 20 updates a day

Latest posts

Back