Quantcast

Deionized water ph?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a concern about the deionized water I have access to at my place of work.I checked it's PH using ph strips and it showed a ph of about 5. I was planning on mixing my house water ph 8.1 and alkalinity of 160 with this water...,is this a normal ph for deionized water,it seems low to me??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's sounds way too low for deionized. The strips are, at best, only accurate to within a few tenths of a pH. But being that much off tells me I wouldn't trust those particular strips.

ajdelange

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Given that strips often are off by several tenths this is more or less normal. Your 'deionized' water contains about 0.14 mg/L bicarbonate and about 0.8 mg/L carbonic acid. As a consequence its pH is expected to be about 5.62. This is based on atmospheric CO2 of 0.00035 atm (which is where the carbonic acid and bicarbonate come from).

OP
N

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Thanks guys ...
the strips I used were a few years old so they were probably inaccurate.the same strips stated my tap water was 7 but the town water report said 8.1 so I guess they are running 1.1 low!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew