Degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
Making 6 gallons of a red chanti , I have a whip ,instructions say test by filling sample tube 1/2 full seal end and shake . If when you release the cap you hear pressure , then you still have gas keep whipping . I whipped this stuff every hr or so the whole day . let air out overnight whipped , then let rest , then retested still gas . did it a few more times still has gas .. finally just topped off , put airlock on. what am i doing wrong ? should I continue to whip ? after I topped off with water i whipped it in ... looked better not making much foam . but i didnt test . Should I let it go or keep whipping ...

Degassing can be like that sometimes!

I assume you're doing this in a carboy? A good way to know when you're done is when no more bubbles come out of the wine when you whip it.

It helps if the wine is pretty warm, as c02 comes out of solution a lot better when it is in a warm solution. Trying to degas a cooler wine is a real pain!

Funny the directions said the oposite. That it takes longer if wine is not at proper temp. between 20-24 c.... should I continue to whip?

I need a food saver. But I dont see how you would attach suction hose to the saver.

By food saver, I am assuming you are talking about a 'food vaccuum'? I just bought a hand held one for $20 at Walmart by the expensive food saving machines. Won't know until tomorrow if it will work, but I use 5 gallon buckets as secondaries, with 3/8 vinyl tubing, waxed in to the lids and a balloon, for an airlock (not trying to be a vinter, just trying to make good, healthy, organic wine, for my husband and I). I try to keep them as full as possible, but I am concerned that if I do have to age any wine, after reading more and more on this site, I will have oxidation problems. So that is why I bought it. It works with those food bags that look like space bags, so I am hoping I can suck some air out through the tubing on my less full secondaries.

My question is how long (days )can you continue to degas. whipped it last night and this morning .

The food vaccuum did not work at all...no power. I think Yooper, has the best answer, hands down.

On my next batch . I will make a vacumn pump, out of a small refrigerator compressor . post it when i do

It appears to me you cannot vacumn in a cheap plastic carboy , it will just suck the sides in you will start vacuuming in liquid

Back