degassing wine using electric pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, that looks like it works good...my local HBS started using one a few years back, I saw him hooking it up and trying to find the "sweet spots" and things like that...but, he's not too keen in helping those of us who don't brew in his shop, so I've never been able to get it out of him how he did it and what he used...I'd like to make something like that for myself as well...I wonder if there are things I can buy here in good Ol' Canada to do that too...

anyone know how to make something like this on this side of the pond? for a fairly reasonable price too...thanks.

thanks in advance.

So this is a vacuum pump, right? I've got a vacuum pump I use to evacuate refrigeration systems when making repairs to them, I'm thinking that would work well for doing this to my wine. How much of a vacuum do you pull, or do you just pump it down until it stops bubbling?

I'm guessing your vac pump for fridge systems is perfect. I wanted one myself but could not quite stretch to it. Mine pulls about -26"hg . Make sure your wine temp is 24 degrees. Anything less than 22 makes it hold onto its co2. I think your pump is oil based but the pumps I read about had non return valves so u should be okay. I'm still experimenting but a standard Dj of red wine was bubbling merrily for 30 min , steadily decreasing for the last 10 min. Is it degassed? Probably, at least for our purposes. As I say, still playing with it.

As for our Canadian friend, this was as cheap as I could go. One thing I have not tried is using a vacuum cleaner. The wife would kill me, but I bet a hose on the end would pull a similar hg.

so, I just tried my shop vac from CT and it seemed to work not too badly actually!!! very pleasantly surprised...I just cut a piece out of a tshirt, elasticed it over the hose end, and stuck that over the top of my two 1 G carboys and I could see the bubbles rising to the surface ALLOT faster...now, to make some modifications...I'm thinking of a two rubber stopper system, with a piece of old plastic tubing between them. one end in the shop vac hose, one end in the carboy, flip the switch and watch carefully :)...hahaha...here's hoping it will work ok...

anyone tried something similar?

Thx.

I got a used medical vac pump and hooked up a piece of vac hose from an autoparts store to it, with a piece of plastic tube from Home Depot through the bung. It works pretty good, but takes several hours to degas. You still need to shake/swirl though if you want to get it all.

Back