Degassing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenpachi Z

Reaction score
Im just curious how often does everybody degas and add yeast nutrients during primary ?

Wouldn't do it if making beer the degassing aspect. Normally add my yeast nutrients to the boil and that's enough. Some breweries do rouse their ferment after 48 hours ( Timothy Taylor springs to mind) but that's not to degas.
See this from about 55 seconds.

I do degas wine but only at the end of primary after transfer.

Last edited:
Wouldn't do it if making beer the degassing aspect. Normally add my yeast nutrients to the boil and that's enough. Some breweries do rouse their ferment after 48 hours ( Timothy Taylor springs to mind) but that's not to degas.
See this from about 55 seconds.

I do degas wine but only at the end of primary after transfer.

Good to know because i do plan on trying my hand at beer but I mostly make mead right now and . couple gallons of wine to but no beer yet

As to nutrients Look up TOSNA 3.0 for higher ABV mead to calculate the amounts. Nutrient additions at yeast pitch, 24, 48, 72 hours and 1/3 sugar break.

I stir the must 2Xs a day to 1/3 sugar break. It releases the CO2, perhaps adds a little air and suspends any yeast that may have setled. All are beneficial early in the ferment. Some may argue not necessary but seems to work well for me.

The Bray's One Month Mead (BOMM) protocol has you degassing daily to the 2/3s sugar break. Also with the TONSA 2 or 3 protocol for the nutes. :mug:

Ok so im still pretty new what's this sugar break yall keep talking about ?

As to nutrients Look up TOSNA 3.0 for higher ABV mead to calculate the amounts. Nutrient additions at yeast pitch, 24, 48, 72 hours and 1/3 sugar break.

I stir the must 2Xs a day to 1/3 sugar break. It releases the CO2, perhaps adds a little air and suspends any yeast that may have setled. All are beneficial early in the ferment. Some may argue not necessary but seems to work well for me.
So your saying to add yeast nutrients constantly threw the primary ? Can it be natural nutrients or does it need to be something i buy from a brew store ?

Ok so im still pretty new what's this sugar break yall keep talking about ?

you take the OG devide by 3, this is generally when you add the nutrients, so 1/3 and 2/3rds of the fermentation. So If you have a 1.100 must, the breaks are 1.066 and 1.033, for the nutrients you add some at the beginning, some at the 1/3 and some at the 2/3 break, and according to the BOMM protocol you degas daily till 2/3 break. I hope this makes sense. Also look up the TONSA 3.0 protocol. :mug:

you take the OG devide by 3, this is generally when you add the nutrients, so 1/3 and 2/3rds of the fermentation. So If you have a 1.100 must, the breaks are 1.066 and 1.033, for the nutrients you add some at the beginning, some at the 1/3 and some at the 2/3 break, and according to the BOMM protocol you degas daily till 2/3 break. I hope this makes sense. Also look up the TONSA 3.0 protocol. :mug:
Yeah it does i looked up the tonsa 3.0 after yall recommended it ....thanks for the help ...this is really fun i haven't been this interested in learning in years lol

Depending on your fermenter, I like to vacuum degas before racking to secondary. I also use stainless steel fermenters, and have a gauge to let me know how much vacuum I am pulling (usually about10mm of Hg.)

This degassing facilitates the lees and yeast settling out, as it pulls quite a bit of the CO2 out of suspension.
20201211_113514.jpg
20201121_110359.jpg

Wow ...i dont have anything fancy like that just glass carboys and airlocks ....what do you make ? And how much is a set up like that ?

Wow ...i dont have anything fancy like that just glass carboys and airlocks ....what do you make ? And how much is a set up like that ?
I make meads, at the moment I am in a hiatus because all of my kegs are full because of covid (I made over 30 gallons last year) . I make waaay more than I can drink

I have a CF10 and a Flex+ as my primary fermenters. The Flex is my favorite, I picked it up through the bargain cave on Spikebrewing.com I think it was $300 or so and worth every penny. The CF10 was almost $1000 all in, and is fantastic for larger batches, but in hindsight I'd rather have more of the smaller ones.

My degas setup is a 12v auto vacuum pump, and some tubing and valves from the hardware store. Probably less than $50 and the valves were most of that.

I would be really careful with glass. Especially if you didn't have the carboy nearly full, as a collapsed 6.5 gallon carboy will make a huge mess!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Keep it simple, a spoon with a long handle is fine. I initially ferment mead in a bucket with the lid just sitting on it so I can easily lift it off and stir it up. When its gets close to finishing, and doesn't need any more de-gassing, I snap the lid on tight and use an airlock. I don't do the de-gassing routine with wine or cider.

Latest posts

Back