degassing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growlrr

Reaction score
How often do you degas mead when in secondary? Also I'm a little confused. I thought part of the reason for letting the mead sit in the secondary was to help it clarify. Doesn't degassing swirl all the crap up on the bottom and defeat the purpose? They've both been in secondary for about two weeks and I have not degassed them. Lastly - one of my batches is a Perry that has about 1.5# of pears floating in it (both are 1 gallon batches). Will getting the degassing attachment into the carboy and inevitably beating the hell out of the pears cause any issues? Thanks for your help....I'm new to this and I'm afraid I've caught "the bug" really bad...Just bought another four carboys, 30# of honey and a few stern looks from my wife!

You don't degass in the secondary. Degassing is done only during active fermentation, and then only in the beginning.

Not sure I completely agree with Drewed. Certainly you might degas as you stir during active fermentation but you might degas in the "secondary" before you bottle. There should be no sediment at that point and you may have racked two or three (or more ) times. Degassing in the secondary will help clear your wine as the CO2 in the mead will prevent particles from dropping out of suspension..

I degas all through primary, although towards the end I am more careful, less aggressive. I've also degassed in secondary by, as bernardsmith has suggested in previous posts, angling my racking syphon to the side so the mead runs down the side of the carboy (I'm actually considering giving bernardsmith a mention on my labels for all his advice I've used). Also, if I notice carbonation in the secondary, and/or the mead is not clearing in a timely manner, I'll degas in the carboy using my racking cain. I know that most would consider this method taboo, but I've yet to experience any oxydation, and my meads have cleared more quickly (and quicker to the glass too!).

This is what I get for posting at 5:43 in the morning. I was thinking "active" degassing / aeration, like with a wine whip and drill.
I can agree with what Bernardsmith and Fossilcat are saying. I'll look into that. I have one going now that is being a pill on the clearing.

No need to mention me. I have learnt a great deal from those who have mentored me and so I try to pay it forward by passing forward what I know. Just pass on what you know to others to keep the chain growing.:mug:

No need to mention me. I have learnt a great deal from those who have mentored me and so I try to pay it forward by passing forward what I know. Just pass on what you know to others to keep the chain growing.:mug:

I understand and appreciate the point, but an endorsement every once in a while can't hurt. It's hard for a newbie to "separate the wheat from the chaff" sometimes, it's good to know who to listen to and who to tune out. Strengthens the community.

Being new to the community, I definitely read a lot before I do anything, especially because I have the time to read lately. There's definitely a lot of variation in the minutia of mead brewing. Takes a bit of discernment sometime to see when people are suggestion doing things that have no reason other than it worked for them.

Back