Degassing mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooney

Reaction score
How does every one De gas?
Its Some thing I never bothered with to begin with but as time has gone on I get frustrated with the little bubbles on the surface when I pour my still aged mead. I have seen aging mead work wonders with mead but even with a year and a half in secondary I have co2 released when I bottle and then pour.

I have tried the drill method but it's not much fun. And I bought a wine saver vacume hand pump which was not fun but appeared to extract more co2. Although never all of it.

I recently bought a vacume bag machine and hooked it up to my demi John's and it at least does not need hand pumped but still needs babysat to control the foam and keep pressing the start button as it cuts off on a timer. I'm now getting allot of co2 but it is still endless. Has any one ever managed to completely degas a mead?

I have an air conditioning vacume pump at work which I'm tempted to bring home. Ťotal over kill. Has anyone ever used one of these to degas with? I know this thing can create a vacume to boil moisture at normal temperature,so I don't want to start boiling alcohol.

I have a vacuum pump. Degassing with it works, but 99.9% of the time I let it degas with age. I also filter my mead, which knocks out some co2.

I thought that waiting in secondary for a few months would do the trick, but I’ve never done a non-carbonated brew before the mead I’m doing right now.

So degassing seems pretty mandatory if I don’t want any bubbles.

You say that using the drill thing was not fun. But did it work?

Naw it was too not fun using the drill to persist with it. I'm just wondering if I'm missing a trick. As I recently bottled a mead witch had been sat in secondary since 2013 and there was still a little fizz.

When fermenting in a plastic bucket, I degas with a large sanitized spoon. When fermenting in a 1 gallon carboy, I just swirl the jug gently....because vigorous action usually leads to a mead explosion early on in the ferment.

I've only ever given it time and it happens all on its own. Mead wants to age over a lengthy period of time anyways, so just let it do its thing. Otherwise, yeah, what bmwr75 said. I suppose I could understand the desire to degas if you plan on a quick batch turnaround.

Back