degass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n00bBrew3r

Reaction score
is degassing really all that important? I tried some home made wine and it tasted just fine without degassing it.

Since about 1 in 3 or 4 posts deals with degassing, I'd say YES...it is important.

Dissolved CO2 makes carbonic (or carbolic, I can never remember) acid when it touches your tongue, it makes the wine taste more acidic than it really is. Also, dissolved gasses tend to hold on to particles, making clearing your wine much harder.

I never manually degass. Left to bulk age wine will degass on its own. Assuming the temps are not too low that is. If you want to bottle in four weeks, then yes. Degass manually. If bulk aging a year at room temp it will degass on its own.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I never manually degass. Left to bulk age wine will degass on its own. Assuming the temps are not too low that is. If you want to bottle in four weeks, then yes. Degass manually. If bulk aging a year at room temp it will degass on its own.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I never degas, either, except for kit wines.

Well, I can't say "never", as I had one batch of wine that never degassed on its own and I manual did it. But that's one batch in 25 years, so it's pretty close to "never"! :D

Not that I have near as long of a track record as Yooper but I have never manually degased a wine either, just lit it sit and do it on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i've had a friends red kit wine that he didn't degas enough - it was disgusting to have a red champagne. Mind you, I can't stand champagne.

Degass if you plan on using any type of clearing agent. Superkleer or sparkoloid for instance. Otherwise the co2 won't allow it to work properly. If you plan on bulk aging then no need.

how long would a 5 gallon batch take to degass on it's own?

It depends on the temperature, as a colder wine "holds" co2 better. At 70 degrees, assuming several rackings over the course of making the wine and clearing, etc- it should be degassed by the second racking or thereabouts.

Back