Definitive time to start diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JONNYROTTEN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting into lagering...and liking it.

There seems to many different opinions on when to start a diacetyl rest.

So far I've seen:

When you hit 50 %

80%

2 to 4 points from FG

"almost finished"

"just start at 5 days and youll be fine"

Is this just sort of a best guess or opinion or "this is the I do it" kind of thing??

tgolanos

Reaction score
I usually do a D-rest at 75-80%, which normally takes 7-10 days to reach. No specific reason why 75-80%, I guess. I feel my lagers' flavor profiles has been set by so warming it up a bit won't cause any off-flavors. I usually let my sit for another 7 days at the D-rest temp before cold-crashing and transferring.

Steveruch

Reaction score
The first thing you need to determine is if there is actually any diacetyl. I've never needed to do a d-rest.

chumney

Reaction score
I generally do a diacetyl rest when my beer has reach about 75% of the terminal gravity from the original gravity. Many brewers do not feel they need to do one but being sensitive to diacetyl, I do one as a preventive step. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Paulaner

Reaction score
The first thing you need to determine is if there is actually any diacetyl. I've never needed to do a d-rest.
As stated above taste it to see if this rest is even needed or you may be wasting your time. Personally, I focus on brewing lagers and have only had one that needed a diacetyl rest.