Definitions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefyTim

SudsChef
Reaction score
OK, I am finally ready to start AG brewing. I have a 60qt cube cooler with a braided hose and a spigot. I also have another cooler with a spigot for a hot liquor tank.

I'm sure the answer to this question is all in who you ask.

Should I do batch sparging or "sprinkled" (not sure the real term for this)?

Also, I am getting very confused on all these different terms.

Sparging (is this the actual removal of the water from the grains in the tun?)
Mashing (is this just the grains sitting in the water)
Lautering (mashing, recirculation, and sparging all together?)

Thanks,
Tim

Mashing: The act of soaking grains in a specified amount of water at a specified temperature for a specified amount of time in order to convert starches into fermentable sugars.

Lautering: The act of collecting the runnings from the mash.

Sparging: The act of rinsing the grain bed with a specified amount of water at a specified temperature in order to collect the residual sugars contained in the grain bed.

I would add another...

Vorlauf: The act of collecting some amount of runnings and returning to the grain bed until such runnings are clear of particulates, before collecting into the boil kettle.

The term you are looking for for 'sprinkled' is fly sparging, or continuous sparging. There are definite pro's and con's for each. I find batch sparging to be easier, IMHO.

johnsma22 said:
The term you are looking for for 'sprinkled' is fly sparging, or continuous sparging. There are definite pro's and con's for each. I find batch sparging to be easier, IMHO.

I just went AG and I am doing batch sparging. My basic motivators were ease/simplicity from a process and equipment perspective. So far, I am satisfied with my choice with my first 3 batches.

if you dont have it already get a copy of "the complete joy of homebrewing" by papazian. when you go ag this is 90 percent of what youll need

snoochhandytardman said:
if you dont have it already get a copy of "the complete joy of homebrewing" by papazian. when you go ag this is 90 percent of what youll need

The forum has mixed feelings on that book. Many on here think it is outdated, but I think it is a wonderful reference for all things brewing related from your first extract batch to AG brewing. I would say if you could only have one book it should be that one, but my second choice would be How to Brew by John Palmer. Great thing about How to Brew though is it is online at HowtoBrew.com. Don't even have to spend any money on it.

Back