Deer Creek Malthouse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard about them out a year or two ago close to when they first opened. They're about 20 minutes from where I live but I thought the same as @skleice about cross contamination. Unless they specifically say gluten free, there's no way a small malt house is going to have the separate equipment and facilities to prevent it. Unfortunately ...

Has anyone ever purchased from Deer Creek Malthouse, located in southeastern PA?

https://deercreekmalt.com/product-category/beer/

I heard about them out a year or two ago close to when they first opened. They're about 20 minutes from where I live but I thought the same as @skleice about cross contamination. Unless they specifically say gluten free, there's no way a small malt house is going to have the separate equipment and facilities to prevent it. Unfortunately ...

hey guys - I am in the Philly burbs as well. Really close to Tired Hands. One of these days it would be cool to have a gluten free home brew meet up.

I emailed deer creek just for the sake of it. They confirmed that they use the same equipment to process all of their malts. I thought it was cool that they referred me to their “friend Twila at Grouse” for any of my dedicated GF needs. They did say that they fully clean all of their equipment before running GF malts, which results in less than 20 ppm gluten, but that’s not GF and up to my personal Zero Tolerance standards.

I also contacted Deer Creek along with Double Eagle since they both carry some buckwheat. Both places confirmed they can't be certified since they don't have a designated area for the gluten free malts.

Side note I'm up in Montgomery County and just started to GF Homebrew since I was just diagnosed with Celiac's so we should all get together and meet up and share beers.

Secondary side note I also am the brewer/production manager for Round Guys in Lansdale and we do have a seltzer but it was definitely in contact with a gluten brewery to make it.

@kenoglass you should be pretty close to Blueprint Brewing. When they started up they were doing some gluten free beers - it’s a bit of a drive for a middle of the road ipa, even if it is gluten free, so I never made it up there.

Yea I heard of them never got there yet. Their website only has 1 gf beer on it and I wonder about how gluten free it is in the brewery. If there is dedicated lines and equipment or if they use the same.

Just checked out blueprints tap list, that’s not even their beer. It from Aurochs in Pittsburg. Must have given up on the idea of brewing their own. Or the brewer took it to 2SP ...

Latest posts

Back