Deer Camp Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I am about a month away from heading to deer camp. Last year I didn't have any beer ready to take up and got scolded by the senior members...:). This year I am planning on taking some up. Looking for something that will be drinkable yet not be too heavy. Was thinking either BM's Centennial Blonde or C3C. I am also open to other suggestions. This will be a 10 gallon batch. I have exactly 5 weeks to get this from grain to glass.

oh.. and no Hefes. Did that last year and I will be chased out of camp. I was stinky.

Either of those will be great for what you're looking for both for turn around and for general beer drinkers. I've made the blonde with different hops and it's a great grain bill. I've also had the C3C made by another member. The Blonde is a more flavorful but still not too "craft" like for the general beer drinker. Either on you choose will go over well.

I am assuming you are kegging as well. 3 weeks in bottles only gives you one week in primary if you brew today! You could at least burst carb in a eg for a day or 2 (never done it myself) giving you a good 3 solid weeks before racking.

If you feel like something slightly more malty, how about a mild? Fairly low ABV, but full flavor.

Yea the yeast made my quite fragerent. To the point of me getting tired of smelling me.. Think I'll probably go with the blonde. I have a mild in the fermenter now. Amber is in my list of upcoming brews.

These guys would not ***** about free beer.. trust me.

I have a mild in the fermenter now.

Then this is what you will probably need to take. It should be just about ready, depending on when you brewed it.

I have a similar thing happening @ my deer camp. I am the youngest hunter (and that is scary...) We do not "get loaded" but have a good time. My Uncle has been trying some of my home brews and is now convinced that he does not like any ale style beer. (I also gave him some store bought beers to try different styles.) It is now to the point where he won't drink it unless it says lager. This man's stubbornness is legendary...

Well, I almost hope he holds to this thought as I am bringing up 1.5 gallons of my pumpkin beer (A slightly modded version of this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/) in my empty Miller lite Home Draft system. EVERYONE that has tried it has all said it is the best beer they have had in a long time and do date MY personal best brewed beer. It is SO good, I took it to a local pub that allows me to bring in samples for people on occasion. We tried 4 different commercial "pumpkin" beers and everyone liked mine best! (They tell me if they do not like it.)
The resounding reply is "More?"...lol. I will also bring up a Sam Adams winter pack and my 12 year Jameson. (Maybe next year I will have 18 year...)

Best of luck to you on the brew and the hunt!

I'm a huge APA and IPA fan, so those are my camp favorites. I think most people will like the Cream of Three Crops, especially people who don't like craft beers. That's a great choice! A mild is also good, for guys who think they like "dark beer" but really don't.

mild? hefe? low abv?

has anyone actually been to deer camp?

With the exception of yourself, Yooper and me, no one else lives in the Midwest. It is a different drinking game here...lol. I am NOT saying that EVERYONE in the Midwest is a heavy/binge drinker but there are MANY here that are...nor am I saying this is a bad thing!

Deer camp is a good time. Drinking, hunting, drinking, drinking, hunting some more, eating, poker. Oh, did I mention drinking. It's my third year going and I cannot wait. I live in the North East and i'm convinced if your a hunter there is heavy drinking. Don't think it's a regional thing haha

With the exception of yourself, Yooper and me, no one else lives in the Midwest. It is a different drinking game here...lol. I am NOT saying that EVERYONE in the Midwest is a heavy/binge drinker but there are MANY here that are...nor am I saying this is a bad thing!

DEER Camp is probably not just a midwest thing, but everybody I personally know has or goes to deer camp. At least the guys. Many years ago, I hated that women weren't invited to the guys' camps, so I eventually bought my own. It's a cottage on a lake, but it's got woods and borders National Forest land. I've bow hunted and gun hunted there for several years.

My brother (who lives in Cleveland) has a deer camp in PA in the Allegany Mountains, but he used to hunt in Kansas when he lived in Kansas City.

For the most part, camp drinkers like "light" beer or "dark" beer. No pale ales, IPAs, hefes, etc. Even the "dark" beer drinkers probably wouldn't drink a stout! And the "light" beer drinkers drink cream ale or American lagers. At least that's true among the people I know, including my own brother!

hmmm I think I yam in the midwest here on Lake Superior...

Very few of our group acutally hunts during the first week of deer camp, usually are way too shxtfaced. We like our vodka too. I should have 3 varieties in 3 kegs to haul out, oops have to get more of those 16gm cO2 cartridges.....

http://www.yoopernet.com

ok,

Long time deer hunter and beer drinker. I would be looking for something malty instead of hoppy and fizzy in the fall - but that is just me.

With the timeline I would looking at a Mild or ESB, but you know your hunting buddies better than us.

I am overseas and can not go hunting for a while - post pics!

Jon

Was just trying to suggest something that people could drink lots of without being so hungover that they couldn't go out hunting in the morning.

lol, this is the exact reason why i believe none of you have been to deer camp

Ah deer camp. Finally going back this week after missing last year. And this year I'm again without suitable beer. A week or two too early or I'd have 3 varieties ready :(

True, I have a new girlfriend this year and she has no idea what goes on up there. Nor will she. It's nice we have to drive 25 minutes down the mountain to make a phone call. Granted if one of us has an emergency we are screwed.

We recently undershot the volume on the C3C and added a pound of honey malt, and the result is quite excellent (though fairly potent).

Ah,

I see we have a polarization among our deer hunters. Where I grew up deer hunting was serious business. Deer are fairly scarce and people could go a couple of years without getting their one deer. Once people have filled their tags however; the game changes.

Also since I could just grab my rifle and walk out the back door we have less need for an actual camp. If I want to hunt hard I just pack a bivy and bag and flop down where ever, but that is rare.

Good luck to all and I would love to see some photos!

Ah, you caught me! Silly me for trying to suggest a mild when he wants something "not too heavy." ;)

deer camp basically is,

drink until you pass the h*ll out,
then you better get up and get out at 4am to go hunting the next day or you're gonna be fodder for that night's drinking session

Ah,

I see we have a polarization among our deer hunters. Where I grew up deer hunting was serious business. Deer are fairly scarce and people could go a couple of years without getting their one deer. Once people have filled their tags however; the game changes.

Also since I could just grab my rifle and walk out the back door we have less need for an actual camp. If I want to hunt hard I just pack a bivy and bag and flop down where ever, but that is rare.

Good luck to all and I would love to see some photos!

Deer are about like rabbits now. Rabbits that run in large herds.

Instead of just shooting the first buck you see, you can wait for a REALLY nice one now.

Or, if you live in Tennessee, you can shoot about 28 deer per year legally.

(Even with expanded limits and seasons, the herds keep getting bigger)

:D

DEER Camp is probably not just a midwest thing, but everybody I personally know has or goes to deer camp. At least the guys. Many years ago, I hated that women weren't invited to the guys' camps, so I eventually bought my own. It's a cottage on a lake, but it's got woods and borders National Forest land. I've bow hunted and gun hunted there for several years.

Yooper, I have never meet you, but the more I read about you I freakin love you. My wife hunts with me, bow and gun. She only has one deer thus far and missed on one this archery, but she is determined. I think you two would get along well except the quality beer part, particularly anything with hops. :mug:

Yooper, I have never meet you, but the more I read about you I freakin love you. My wife hunts with me, bow and gun. She only has one deer thus far and missed on one this archery, but she is determined. I think you two would get along well except the quality beer part, particularly anything with hops. :mug:

I would love to meet her! She sounds great, except for not loving hoppy beers. Here's a little Yooper deer camp music for you:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer are about like rabbits now. Rabbits that run in large herds.

Instead of just shooting the first buck you see, you can wait for a REALLY nice one now.

Or, if you live in Tennessee, you can shoot about 28 deer per year legally.

(Even with expanded limits and seasons, the herds keep getting bigger)

:D

not where we hunt, near antigo, wi

we didn't see a single buck opening weekend.

Deer a a bit scarce where we are too. PA isn't the best for deer unless you own your own land. The Game Commision has everything screwed up. I still get up nice and early to go out. Spend the day until dark, come in, shower, and start drinking.

Where I hunt in western NY, I always get my 2 doe tags (you can get 0, 1, or 2 depending on how big the herd is in your area). When November 1 rolls around, you can go back and get any left over tags that have not been handed out yet. I will probably get 2 more. Thats on top of the gun (buck) and archery (either sex) tags. WNY is very productive in terms of deer, the DEC is trying to get the herd under control.

Where I hunt in western NY, I always get my 2 doe tags (you can get 0, 1, or 2 depending on how big the herd is in your area). When November 1 rolls around, you can go back and get any left over tags that have not been handed out yet. I will probably get 2 more. Thats on top of the gun (buck) and archery (either sex) tags. WNY is very productive in terms of deer, the DEC is trying to get the herd under control.

when i first started hunting about 10 years ago it was like that here. you'd get your license and they'd give you a handful of tags.

now you get one. and, where we hunt, you're lucky if you use it. further south, central WI has herds of deer.

when i first started hunting about 10 years ago it was like that here. you'd get your license and they'd give you a handful of tags.

now you get one. and, where we hunt, you're lucky if you use it. further south, central WI has herds of deer.

SO true. unfortunately the CWD is in the area with the deer and spreading.

The mismanagement of the herd by the DNR here in WI is legendary. I really do not wish to sour this nice thread with my thoughts on that. I will close with this thought for ALL the deer hunters...

The wild turkey population here is closely watched and tags are issued based on the numbers. It is a proven fact that when to many hens are harvested in 1 year, that they will see up to a 20% overall population decrease over the next 2-4 years. The same logic can be applied to deer...

So anyways, I seriously wish everyone a safe and happy hunt, May the 30 point buck walk right past your stand while you sleep and into my cross-hairs.

Back